4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

14 DRW ABS issue

Search this Thread

Old Today, 09:43 AM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 14 DRW ABS issue

I've been chasing I believe an ABS issue for over a year in this truck. It started as a non existent issue that was just annoying. Rougher highway, bridge bumps ect would disengage the cruise but never had a fault code so no where to go with it. I assumed it was a wheel speed issue shutting off cruise but it wouldn't fault for it. Resume cruise and fine until the next bump, nothing more than annoying really.

Finally this past month it started setting a fault, LR speed sensor erratic. For some reason when scanning (AlfaOBD) in the ABS module I have two P0037 faults LR Erratic. They both read the same not sure if that's an ALFA glitch or if I should try a different scanner and see if its actually a different code.

I replaced the sensor (standard motor products, rockauto), it had some marring and scratching so I was optimistic I had repaired the issue. Connector was clean no corrosion. Drove maybe 75 miles no issues. Came up on a hidden stop sign and really stomped the brakes, almost felt like a hesitation for split second in the braking, popped abs fault and stopped like normal. Now I clear the code, in a mile or two its back, same LR erratic code. Yesterday I have a 200 mile trip, was dreading no cruise so reset codes, the usual 2 miles or less it was back. On the return trip I tried once more to reset, this time the codes stayed away slightly longer, but I noticed my speedometer reading exactly half my actual, cruise working. In maybe 5 miles it set warning service ABS system on dash but only the TC light came on, cruise disabled. Drove this way probably 30 miles, when the ABS light finally came on along with park sense disabled, which BTW why does park sense shut off with an ABS fault, its not controlling the brakes? (wish it would). With this the speedometer corrected to actual MPH and drove the rest of the way. Same LR erratic code.

Lots of information, my question is, I think this truck falls in the era of the impossible to get ABS module that was plaguing the nation while the other plague was happening. I only raise question of the module due to the braking hesitation, and the strange setting of the fault codes, with incorrect speed and no fault. Where does one start to diag if its module issue or sensor/wiring. Did these trucks have a problem spot for wiring damage? I have inspected but not seeing anything of concern, without stripping all the loom. Of course there's the section behind the fuel tank, that's much harder to access. I know with the stretch my wiring is no necessarily in the factory location anymore, the the 160k miles before hand could have started damage that's finally coming out, or possibly post op damage.

Old Today, 11:28 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,297 Likes on 3,043 Posts

I think the left FRONT sensor is what feeds the speedo/cruise control.

Old Today, 02:03 PM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

I'll Check into it, I will correct its probably C0037 not P0037 and I see with some googling that there's a second FMI people are posting with fault C0037 so I'm wondering if that's why I have multiple C0037 faults, I'm not seeing the FMI that follows.

I'll scan again report back.

Quick Reply: 14 DRW ABS issue