2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cummins 12 valve timing case

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2024, 01:28 PM
JPR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cummins 12 valve timing case

Hello all, first time poster from Finland here.

So I got my first Ram 2500 4x4 with a Cummins about one and a half years ago. Just to give you a picture: 330k miles, sloppy steeringbox, steering shaft, bald tires, horrible oil leaks, dirty interior etc all the good stuff. Luckily it was kind of cheap and and I like wrenching my stuff.
All the wear and tear I can fix or live with but.. Its a KDP survivor and PO had the original timing case replaced with an aftermarket one and now it has a whine from timing gears. It comes from injection pump gear or vacuum pump gear or both. I know this because when timing cover was off I noticed that those gears dont have any play in them relative to cam gear. And I removed the upper dowelpin and gave a little smack to the side of the timing case and the whining got quieter.
So my question to you is: Is this a thing with aftermarket timingcases? Original timingcases are pretty hard to find here and I dont want to change it to another aftermarket part just to notice the whine again..
-J

Old 08-07-2024, 03:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,363 Likes on 3,105 Posts

Tighter the tolerances on the gears, the noisier they will be. If they aren't wearing unusually, and you don't see evidence of them contacting the timing cover, it's all good.

Welcome to DF!

Quick Reply: Cummins 12 valve timing case