Dodge Ram Van The full size Dodge Ram Van that showed that we can go and do as we please. Discuss the Dodge Ram Van here today.

Engine will start, but dies unless given gas / throttle.

Search this Thread

Old Today, 08:16 AM
97St.Wagon3500
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine will start, but dies unless given gas / throttle.

Notice engine giving me this weird symptom like battery is dying while sitting. So I'll go start it after not driving for 3 days, the starter sounds very weak like it's not getting good juice. But then let's say it starts, it will only stay running if I give it a little gas and keep my foot on it. If I let up the van dies instantly. There's a point where after so long of giving it gas to keep it running, it will idle just fine, start back up and idle just fine too. This only happens when I leave it sit for 3 or so days. Bad battery? Parasitic draw? After running, the starter sounds strong again. Which leads me to believe it's a power issue. Like the alternator isn't charging. Which recently had this weird episode where the volt guage and temp guage would flicker every 7 seconds. That went away but it's been acting weird since. Possible bad alternator?

Old Today, 09:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,335 Likes on 3,077 Posts

How old is the battery? A weak battery can cause all sorts of interesting issues.

Old Today, 10:03 AM
jeffersonracing
Professional
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds similar to when I have the battery unhooked for a while and the ecu has to learn in order to keep things running.

Quick Reply: Engine will start, but dies unless given gas / throttle.