2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Starter won't turn over or click

Search this Thread

Old Today, 01:48 PM
steveonmars
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter won't turn over or click

I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.2L automatic. When I turn the key there is no click or any sound from the starter and it doesn't turn over. The battery is good. All grounds are good. I pulled the starter and had it tested and it turned right over and tested good in the store. I reinstalled the old starter. I checked and swapped the fuse and relay. I changed the neutral safety switch and the ignition switch and still nothing. I have not changed the key lock cylinder yet. Does anyone have any ideas before I throw more money at this?

Old Today, 02:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,339 Likes on 3,081 Posts

Changing the lock cylinder won't change anything either.

On the starter relay, pin 30 should have constant power. pin 85 (or maybe 86) will have power when the key is in the start position. The other 8? pin should go to ground.

Old Today, 03:00 PM
steveonmars
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a test light on the slots the relay fits in. The 30 slot had power all the time. There are 85, 86, and 87 slots and none of those had power when the key was in the run or start position. I didn't use a multimeter if that makes a difference. I also didn't check to see if any went to ground because I'm not sure how to do that.

Last edited by steveonmars; Today at 03:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Starter won't turn over or click