2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Starter won't turn over or click

Search this Thread

Old Today, 01:48 PM
steveonmars
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter won't turn over or click

I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.2L automatic. When I turn the key there is no click or any sound from the starter and it doesn't turn over. The battery is good. All grounds are good. I pulled the starter and had it tested and it turned right over and tested good in the store. I reinstalled the old starter. I checked and swapped the fuse and relay. I changed the neutral safety switch and the ignition switch and still nothing. I have not changed the key lock cylinder yet. Does anyone have any ideas before I throw more money at this?

Old Today, 02:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,339 Likes on 3,081 Posts

Changing the lock cylinder won't change anything either.

On the starter relay, pin 30 should have constant power. pin 85 (or maybe 86) will have power when the key is in the start position. The other 8? pin should go to ground.

Old Today, 03:00 PM
steveonmars
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a test light on the slots the relay fits in. The 30 slot had power all the time. There are 85, 86, and 87 slots and none of those had power when the key was in the run or start position. I didn't use a multimeter if that makes a difference. I also didn't check to see if any went to ground because I'm not sure how to do that.

Last edited by steveonmars; Today at 03:25 PM.
Old Today, 06:37 PM
Los_Control
Rookie
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by steveonmars
I have a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.2L automatic. When I turn the key there is no click or any sound from the starter and it doesn't turn over. The battery is good. All grounds are good. I pulled the starter and had it tested and it turned right over and tested good in the store. I reinstalled the old starter. I checked and swapped the fuse and relay. I changed the neutral safety switch and the ignition switch and still nothing. I have not changed the key lock cylinder yet. Does anyone have any ideas before I throw more money at this?
Never ever do this at home .... it leads to bad things and no telling where you will go in the after life.

I ran into this situation a year ago when I replaced the clutch.pressure plate in my Chebby truck.
I got it all back together and found out I damaged the clutch line and had no clutch .... I ordered it and a week later had it installed .... then I found out I had the same issue as you ..... turn the key and nothing happened. .... I ordered more parts and got nowhere another week later. ... I pulled the starter and inspected the wiring .... I'm really thinking it has a bad ignition switch now .... not the tumblers, but the internal switch itself .... this requires a good portion of disassembly of the steering column to run the new wires.

I spent about 2 days trying to figure this out with no luck .... I was out of beer and groceries and needed this truck to run.
I just installed a push button under the dash that goes straight to the battery and then to the starter. .... When I push the button that starter turns ... need the ignition switch on for it to start. ..... Been like this for over 1 year and I kinda like it ..... My John Deere mower is the same way .... the actual ignition switch is bad will take $90 for a new circuit board to replace it .... A $5 button works fine.

I had a dirty old man Uncle that taught me this trick .... He had a 90's Dodge ram van that was a luxury liner .... he did same thing, put a push button in it instead of tearing the column apart.

This is a terrible hack and you should never do this! It wont hurt anything .... if you leave the transmission in gear and push the button .... it will start .... all safety switches are bypassed.
You will be able to drive your vehicle until you actually figure out what is wrong.

Quick Reply: Starter won't turn over or click