2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Something is killing all electric power.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2024, 02:52 PM
Limberlost
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something is killing all electric power.

2000 Ram 1500. Battery is okay. Posts and connections clean. Dome light will come on but everything goes dead when you try to crank or turn on the lights and then a high tone coming from inside under the steering column followed by clicking like a stopwatch running.

Old Yesterday, 07:58 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 382 Likes on 359 Posts

Sounds like you have a connection issue, Either the battery terminals or ground. How do you know the battery is "OK"? Was it load tested?

Old Yesterday, 08:24 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,351 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Battery condition doesn't really matter here. You have a bad connection somewhere.

Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker
Received 60 Likes on 59 Posts

If you're convinced the battery is good and connections, I check the fuse box and grounds, do a voltage drop from the battery to ground, battery to fuse panel. Have someone help measure battery voltage when you try and crank.

Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM
Limberlost
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgetruck2
If you're convinced the battery is good and connections, I check the fuse box and grounds, do a voltage drop from the battery to ground, battery to fuse panel. Have someone help measure battery voltage when you try and crank.
My charger says the battery is at about 13 volts and good. I thoroughly cleaned posts and connectors. I even tried jumping it off. I'll check the ground wire. Everyone is ignoring what is going on below the steering column with the beep and then clicking. I'd really like to know what that is.
There is no power getting through to the truck now. No dome light etc. I'll check the voltage drop to ground and see what that is and get back to everybody. My meter just bit the dust for some reason, probably old age, so I'll have to go get another one when the wife gets back from her day out with a friend. Thanks to you and the others for your replies. I'll let you know what I find.

Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Beeping and clicking are probably a low voltage issue. How old is your battery? It may have correct voltage, but can't take any load.

Quick Reply: Something is killing all electric power.