3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 ram trans swap and tc upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 08:29 AM
apjcustoms
|
Default 03 ram trans swap and tc upgrade?

so my 03 ram 1500 4x4 running a 4.7 finally had the trans go ! I was able to buy a replacement trans with only 57k on it with the transfer case and front drive shaft for $500 but now I am looking to purchase a new torque converter and need an affordable option that's an upgrade from stock but noticeable off the line . my truck has 33x12.50r20 tires and to my knowledge stock gearing. I had planned to throw some gears in it but then the trans went . I'm just looking to get some better acceleration not hitting the drag strip! figured $300-$400 ball park seeing as I still need to purchase fluid , filters and I want to upgrade the trans pan to a drain bolt style setup ! any and all input is greatly appreciated ! I know my budgets tight im literally going to just take the cost of the labor to have someone else do the install and roll it into parts doing the install myself ! trucks down and im stuck relying on my Harley for day to day so this is not a passion project just looking to get the best bang for the buck considering the setback this has placed on me .

Old Yesterday | 10:14 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Figure out what the stock converter stall speed is, (gotta be a spec for that somewhere.....) and bump that by a couple hundred RPM. (2 or 3, I wouldn't go much higher than that.) Will give you a bit of a boost anyway, without being unreasonable.

Old Yesterday | 12:36 PM
apjcustoms
|

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Figure out what the stock converter stall speed is, (gotta be a spec for that somewhere.....) and bump that by a couple hundred RPM. (2 or 3, I wouldn't go much higher than that.) Will give you a bit of a boost anyway, without being unreasonable.
I believe the bumped spec is 2600-2800 would love to hear from someone who has felt both options

Old Yesterday | 01:03 PM
apjcustoms
|

this is the unit I’m leaning towards

Old Yesterday | 01:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I can't find what I consider a reliable statistic for stock stall speed, but, it appears to be down around 1600 RPM or so...... If that is the case, that one there is gonna be a major difference in how the truck drives..... once it goes into lockup, it won't matter, but, expect fuel mileage to suffer with that one....

Old Yesterday | 02:07 PM
apjcustoms
|

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I can't find what I consider a reliable statistic for stock stall speed, but, it appears to be down around 1600 RPM or so...... If that is the case, that one there is gonna be a major difference in how the truck drives..... once it goes into lockup, it won't matter, but, expect fuel mileage to suffer with that one....
so I’ve read a gain of 2-4+ mpg with the 2600 and this model is rated 2400-2800 .
I’ve read the 4.7 ram benefits from the higher stall rating

Old Yesterday | 03:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by apjcustoms
so I’ve read a gain of 2-4+ mpg with the 2600 and this model is rated 2400-2800 .
I’ve read the 4.7 ram benefits from the higher stall rating
Entirely possible, if a bit counter-intuitive. Granted, I have little to no experience with the 4.7....

Quick Reply: 03 ram trans swap and tc upgrade?