Wheels & Tires Discuss rims and tires here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rims are ridiculously soft

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 10:57 AM
Murph21
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rims are ridiculously soft

I just got a 07 Ram 1500 SLT Quad with the 20 inch Rims, is it me or if you just nic the darn rims they get damaged? Its a darn truck it supposed to be durable the rims are like putty? I nicked a curb doing 5mph going into a driveway and wham it looks like I was going 55mph, any suggestions on what a better more durable replacement rim would be were if I nick a curb it will take the hit especially going slow. Any advice if possible on making the exisintg rim look better?

Old 11-10-2006, 09:23 PM
Ben@tirerack
Professional
Default RE: Rims are ridiculously soft

OUCH! [:@] Nothing like a scraped wheel on a brand new car to ruin your day. Pretty much any wheel that hits the curb is going to show some evidence of the damage. If you run a smaller wheel, like a 17, the tire sidewall is taller, and it's more likely that the tire hits a curb than the wheel. If the wheel is not chrome, it's probably a silver painted finish, which could possibly be buffed out and repainted by a body shop.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:21 PM
Inko
Default RE: Rims are ridiculously soft

It doesnt really matter if its a cast rim or forged, aluminum is a malbuable metal. One thing to do to protect from curb rash on the lip is look at a tire like the BFG g-force KDW's which have a built in lip protector.

On your 20's were they the chrome clad wheels? If they are it is just a chrome plastic overlay on the wheel so they are easily replaced. If not you can try sanding and painting like Ben said.

As far as as replacment rims, it doesnt matter, if you hit a curb it'll show. But look into Centerline Wheels Millennium series, they include free curb damage repair, polish and inspection on the wheels.

Quick Reply: Rims are ridiculously soft