1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

96 dakota transmission mount issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 06:02 PM
cooped56
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 dakota transmission mount issues

When I went to replace my transmission mount i noticed that the old one was torn and the thru bolt hole was off centered. when i put the new one in the crossmember it would not line up with the transmission bracket. It was approx. 3/8 of an inch off. This is what destroyed the old mount. I had the transmission replaced by a repair shop so my question is does the crossmember have an offset and was installed wrong or did I order the wrong mount. I ordered from Rockauto an Anchor 2624 mount for a rwd truck. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:27 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cooped56
When I went to replace my transmission mount i noticed that the old one was torn and the thru bolt hole was off centered. when i put the new one in the crossmember it would not line up with the transmission bracket. It was approx. 3/8 of an inch off. This is what destroyed the old mount. I had the transmission replaced by a repair shop so my question is does the crossmember have an offset and was installed wrong or did I order the wrong mount. I ordered from Rockauto an Anchor 2624 mount for a rwd truck. any help would be greatly appreciated.
The cross member is not symmetrical...I forget by how much but it seemed like more than 3/8. But easy enough to measure from frame rails to mount.

Old 05-02-2016, 06:50 PM
cooped56

Originally Posted by robertmee
The cross member is not symmetrical...I forget by how much but it seemed like more than 3/8. But easy enough to measure from frame rails to mount.
I will measure it and hopefully that is the problem. If not then I will have to call the repair shop and ask what transmission they put in. I looked at a mopar site and the the bracket they show is not the one I have.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:46 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your motor mounts. If one is broken/collapsed it can force the transmission to one side.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:11 PM
cooped56

Originally Posted by ragged89
Check your motor mounts. If one is broken/collapsed it can force the transmission to one side.
I replaced both engine mounts before I tackled the transmission so they are good. Both were bad and had sheared at the bond line.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:00 PM
cooped56

Originally Posted by robertmee
Your right and I pulled the transmission bracket(4412154) to verify its correct. There is no adjustment of crossmember so stumped at my misalignment issue. See attached images.

See where it's rubbing the bracket on the left side

Notice how it is protruding from the left side

Bottom view

Old 05-03-2016, 02:06 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cooped56
Your right and I pulled the transmission bracket(4412154) to verify its correct. There is no adjustment of crossmember so stumped at my misalignment issue. See attached images.

See where it's rubbing the bracket on the left side

Notice how it is protruding from the left side

Bottom view
I'm not near my truck as out of town but that mount doesn't look like mine. But mines also a 1990 42rh so dont know if or when it may have changed.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:19 PM
cooped56

My transmission is a 42re and my engine is a 3.9

Old 05-11-2016, 09:31 AM
cooped56

Update on my Transmission mount issue, went back to the shop who rebuilt my transmission for any help and no luck there. Somewhere along the way something got tweaked that is not noticeable to the eye. The only way to truly find out is start replacing brackets and go from there. So the work around was to modify the crossmember to fit the new mount. Attached are photo's of my mod to the crossmember.

Hard to see but the mount now lines up with the bracket without any side load

Not happy about this but this is what it took to get the mount to line up with the tranny bracket

Quick Reply: 96 dakota transmission mount issues