1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Shifter stuck in park.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 10:20 PM
vhousad
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter stuck in park.

I just went out to my Durango and I cannot get the shift lever out of park. I'm assuming that perhaps the transmission is somehow caught on a gear tooth - I've used a fairly significant amount of force to try to shift down to reverse, although I'm afraid to really put my weight into it for fear of breaking something. Has anyone ever seen this before and have suggestions as to how to get back on the road again?
Thanks!

Old 01-23-2007, 01:28 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Shifter stuck in park.

I would jiggle around with it while turning the the left and right. I have seen VW's do this on a couple occasions but not a D.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:03 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Agreed. I have only seen this one other time and the user never came back with the fix. I'm thinking it was something dumb and they didn't want anyone to know. What ever the problem we would like a fix for this problem if you find one. Try to move the steering wheel around left to right and see if you can get it out of park. Also try to juggle the key around while doing this.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:15 PM
89Daytona
Veteran

Have you been stepping on the brake while trying to move the lever? Some vehicles need the brake pressed to shift out of park.
You could take the plastic off of the column and see if anything is stuck around the shifter to keep it from moving (like something in the spring the allows the lever to be pulled back towards youto shift it).

Old 01-23-2007, 02:27 PM
2000RT

I had a ford that did this once. I had a couple of buddy's rock the truck back and forth while I was
inside moving the lever. This did work, and it only happened 1 time.

Give it a try, and good luck

Old 01-23-2007, 03:34 PM
vhousad

Problem resolved! Moving the key around seemed to do the trick. Thanks for the help!

Old 02-04-2007, 06:13 PM
HEMI DURANGO 2004

This just happened to my father in law in his 2002 durango today. To get out of the situation, simply pull off the rubber boot at the base of the shifter. If you look inside you will see a little square metal block that holds the shifter back, with the key turned (not in lock) just press it in with your finger, the shifter will move freely once again. This block should move back on its own when you turn the key on but sometimes it gets stuck. I suspect that it is a loose spring or rod but after a little wd-40 it started working fine again.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:36 AM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for posting up the solution guys!

Old 02-05-2007, 06:10 PM
HEMI DURANGO 2004

Hey Mean Green, I see you have the BFG AT KO's, how have they been? I realize there is some difference between my AWD 2004 but how have they been. I am looking at tires for my Durango and I like the KO's on my Wrangler. I am between the Michelin SUV tires and the KO's. Any thoughts would be great.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Chris
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: HEMI DURANGO 2004

Hey Mean Green, I see you have the BFG AT KO's, how have they been? I realize there is some difference between my AWD 2004 but how have they been. I am looking at tires for my Durango and I like the KO's on my Wrangler. I am between the Michelin SUV tires and the KO's. Any thoughts would be great.
Personally, I have been nothing but impressed with them.

Quick Reply: Shifter stuck in park.