1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Cleaning the Interior

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 02:02 PM
wes_wes101
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning the Interior

What cleaners do y'all use for the interior of your Durangos? Like for the dash, leather seats, and plastic trim pieces? My Durango is so dusty inside!

Old 05-09-2014, 02:24 PM
SmokinJoe02
Veteran

I use the damp towel I used to dry off my D on all that you mentioned.

SJ02

Old 05-09-2014, 10:34 PM
soncjet

For years I have used a 10:1 or so mixture of water to woolite in a spray bottle. It's safe for all surfaces, yet doesn't leave any kind of nasty residue. I'll typically spray it right on the part (seat, dash, carpet,etc) and use a microfiber towel. For headliners I won't spray it directly on the fabric. I use it for cleaning stuff like door jambs as well when needed.

For really stubborn stuff you can still use a scrub brush or mix it a little stronger.

I also don't feel that it attracts dust much like typical surface treatments like armor all would.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:44 PM
winkie74
Professional

I brush and blow the dust off with air, wipe the panels with a wet rag and when it dries I use Meguiars interior detailer to shine everything up. I have cloth seats but my dad has leather and he uses some leather conditioner for his seats, it's made for inside stuff like couches and chairs but it works great, can't remember the name but it's a brownish orange bottle.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:41 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Heres what I use at home, at work (I detailed professionally for a bit) we had stuff from mopar and a major distributor called DSI.
Home stuff:
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks
http://www.chemicalguys.com/Chemical...1_brush_md.htm
Amazon.com: Chemical Guys ACC_S02 - Dual Purpose Toothbrush Style Detailing Brush: Automotive Amazon.com: Chemical Guys ACC_S02 - Dual Purpose Toothbrush Style Detailing Brush: Automotive
Amazon.com: AES Industries 10-1/2" Automotive Cleaning Brush w/ Dense Solvent Resistant Hog Hair Bristles: Automotive Amazon.com: AES Industries 10-1/2" Automotive Cleaning Brush w/ Dense Solvent Resistant Hog Hair Bristles: Automotive
Amazon.com: Zwipes Microfiber Cleaning Cloths (36-Pack) Assorted Colors: Automotive Amazon.com: Zwipes Microfiber Cleaning Cloths (36-Pack) Assorted Colors: Automotive
Amazon.com: Chemical Guys ACC_202 - Professional Interior Induro Brush: Automotive Amazon.com: Chemical Guys ACC_202 - Professional Interior Induro Brush: Automotive
Amazon.com: Meguiar's G7214 Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner: Automotive Amazon.com: Meguiar's G7214 Gold Class Leather Cleaner and Conditioner: Automotive
and for the really tough grease and glue:
Amazon.com: 3M 08987 General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner - 15 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: 3M 08987 General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner - 15 oz.: Automotive

Please whatever you guys do don't use silicone based dressings such as armor-all on your interior plastics, its actually worse for them than having nothing at all, and NEVER use it on leather. Use conditioner and pH based cleaner or warm water. Also as stated above compressed air will really help get the lose dirt off and to clean out cracks.

Old 05-12-2014, 10:07 PM
JeeperDon
All Star
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I use my pressure washer! [Oops, sorry, that's for my Jeep.]

Old 05-12-2014, 10:24 PM
adukart
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by JeeperDon
I use my pressure washer! [Oops, sorry, that's for my Jeep.]
Works good on those or the work trucks with the rubberized flooring thats covered in 100lbs of mud

Old 05-12-2014, 10:59 PM
wes_wes101
Rookie

adukart, thanks for those links! Thats exactly what I was looking for.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:37 PM
a_thomas8811
Professional

So Armor-all isn't good for interior at all? Let me know because I am going to detail my Durango this weekend because it really need one since a long winter and salt up here in Wisconsin. Glad it finally get warmer and nice out more often.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:06 AM
adukart
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by a_thomas8811
So Armor-all isn't good for interior at all?
Not particularly. What armor-all does is block uv light. Well todays plastics and vinyl are more resistant to uv deterioration. But since armor-all is silicone based it traps heat like a greenhouse deteriorating it that way, plus the shine creates more of a reflection on the windscreen possibly creating visual impairment. What it does is dries out leather and break down the protection (new leathers for the most part are sealed from the factory, but not all). For leather stick with a quality conditioner. Now you can use a water based dressing that doesn't create such a greenhouse effect and is less shiny (or more shiny just remember it reflects in the windshield more) while blocking UV such as this: http://www.chemicalguys.com/ProductD...ode=TVD_201_16.
I have found armor-all to be good at reconditioning rubber that is not exposed to sunlight such as the door seals. Even helps to keep them from sticking shut in the winter.

Last edited by adukart; 05-13-2014 at 12:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Cleaning the Interior