1st Gen Durango 1998 - 2003 Durango's

Homemade Ram Air!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 07:17 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Homemade Ram Air!

OK I was talking to a guy in the Dakota section and he confirmed an idea I was thinking over about doing a cheapo ram air setup until I have money. I am going to work this out tomorrow on my D. What you do is take your factory airbox's plastic intake tube off from where it is sucking dead air out of the engine compartment off and put a flexible hose into the hole instead. the hose comes out from between the radiator and headlights on the passenger side, you have to cut a hole in the rubber that is covering that space. On the front of the hose you can put a screen in order to keep bugs and other debris out of your airbox. The guy put a wire through the middle of the hose on the inside of the airbox to hold it in and wrapped it in rubber to seal the edges. He said to just be careful when you take it to the car wash to keep water out of there. He got 3 mpg out of this and I imagine a little extra power. I am going to see if I can work out some PVC piping to do this so there are no kinks in it. I like the idea of it though for the money it can't be beat. Also he just has a paper filter so I can only imagine this being better with a K&N drop in filter. I might also take a look at the air tubes at AZ.

Old 08-12-2006, 07:23 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Homemade Ram Air!

I know a guy in the Army that did something similar to his SRT-4.....the air goes in where the driver's side foglight USED to be......he's happy with it.

Dusty

Old 08-13-2006, 03:09 AM
Jpondo5.9
Professional

your going to have to take some pics of you doing this mod and post it up so all can see meangreen but sounds fun... JP

Old 08-14-2006, 12:00 AM
Mean Green
Champion

I'll get some pics of it installed I already did ittoday and let me just say it's like night and day just with the throttle response. I wasn't pushing my truck hard at all and I was having a hard time keeping it from wanting to take off it's awesome. The truck will only chirp the tires around a turn if I push the accelerator all the way before this, I did it on accident with the accelerator down halfway today. I'll have to run it on the freeway to see how it goes. I did it with a 3 inch air hose black silicone and a 3 inch receiver that covers the rest of the hole all from auto zone. It was like 40 bucks so not too bad at all. I just piched the end coming out of the front together some to fit past the ac lines and cut a hole in the rubber cover. The longest part is just waiting for the the silicone to set which is an hour. It is a very easy mod and great for power and we'll see about fuel but I am sure it'll be good.

Old 08-18-2006, 02:29 PM
Mean Green
Champion
Old 08-18-2006, 11:01 PM
Digitoxin
Professional

Good job Mean Green,

If you felt a better response , then you know I wasn't kidding about a funtional ram air hood giving more power.

Thing is, with the mods I have done, Ram-air, cool air intake kit, Flowmaster exhaust, Superchip-programmer,
I only gained aprox.. 1 mile per gallon. When I bought my Durango new in 03, I checked the mileage several times,
all city driving, and got 13. 5 best. Now after the mods I have done the best I get city is 14.2
I hope you get more out of it , but don't get your hopes up. The power increase is awesome though !!

Old 08-18-2006, 11:11 PM
Mean Green
Champion

Yeah I haven't seen the increase on my comp but I'm gonna check next time I do a fill up and try to keep my foot out of it. I would be happy with 13.5 in mine I'm only getting a little over 10 mpg right now and I do both city and highway pretty equally. You have the 360 right?

Old 08-19-2006, 12:07 AM
henry75
Veteran

damn i dont feel as bad as i did a minute ago. i average 11 mpg with all the mods. MG what ya did is give me a great idea for mine. nice job by the way.

Old 08-19-2006, 12:13 AM
Mean Green
Champion

What are you thinking of doing henry?

Old 08-19-2006, 12:30 AM
henry75
Veteran

i need to relocate my CAI to the front of the truck instead being in the wheel well where it is not. it picks up alot of junk off the road. relocating it to the front would be much better. i cant do exactly what you did as my SC is where the factory airbox is. i will work something out and use the same area as a you did to run some hoses

Quick Reply: Homemade Ram Air!