1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1990 D150 lowering kit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 08:13 PM
ckeenum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 D150 lowering kit?

Does anyone know where or even if I can find a lowering kit for this model? I have searched high and low and come up short each time. I recently purchased the truck. It is a 2wd 1/2 ton with the original V6. I plan to pull the V6 and throw in a 360. I want to do a traditional drop and with some good styling but I need to find either the components separtely or a kit so it will look just right. If anyone has any information, reply to this post or me directly.

V/R,
ckeenum

Old 01-02-2013, 08:40 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

no one really makes aftermarket kits for these trucks anymore.

a v8 will not bolt in where a v6 was. any 88-93 2wd ram or ramcharger would require a motor mount extension plate to swap from a v6 to v8. you can get a factory extension plate out of any 88-93 2wd ram or ramcharger with a v8. there is 3 bolts that hold it in. now if you want to keep the truck TBI i think you would also require the right computer and throttle body to go with the 360. i also think if you are doing the swap you may also want to use the same transmission out of the vehicle you get the 360 from. i don't think the v6 transmission will stand up to the 360's punishment. plus the 360 is externally balanced while the v6 is internally balanced

Last edited by crazzywolfie; 01-02-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:04 PM
LowDodge
Amateur

Cut the coils in the front, flip the axle in the back.
There are other methods but this is the easiest/cheapest I have found.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:28 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend

that is also not a good idea especially if he plans on sticking a 360 in it. i think it would be a wiser idea to stick the engine he wants in it first and then see how it sits. if the springs are as old as the truck they will most likely let the front end drop a bit more under the weight of the v8. i know my 81 had a /6 from the factory but it now has a v8 and the front end sit fairly low. when i load up the bed with a good amount of weight i think the thing looks like a lowrider.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:01 AM
ckeenum

Thanks for the motor mount info, I had figured a little of that would take play into this. Don't worry, as I appreaciate LowDodge's info I will not be cutting the coils. I understand the are alot of different products out there and I am sure that by getting on the phone with some of these folks I will be able to find the product that best fits the truck even if it is meant for another brand. I am not afraid to fabricate around these needed products. I am thinking of a axle flip in the rear but like crazzywolfie said, I am gonna wait for the motor to be in, as well as the wheels and tires I settle on to get on so I can find that right ride hieght. I am thinking of drop spindles and maybe a progressive lowering spring up front. I have a feeling though that I might be looking at removing the whole front end and swaping it for a GM product but to me that would be just blasphemy. I want this truck to be as much dodge as possible while still giving it some style, not that it doesn't already have it.

Last edited by ckeenum; 01-03-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:19 AM
SixGun
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as the front coils go, you should email or call some coil spring companies and get their opinion and see what they recommend. A couple of places come to mind: Coil Spring Specialties and Eaton Spring. Both do custom springs and have been real helpful with me in the past. I'd be skeptical of cutting the springs as well only because of the shape of the top coil. As far as your other needs, try Top Gun Customz. They are a vendor on Ramcharger Central. They give a discount to members.

http://www.coilsprings.com/truck.aspx

http://www.eatonsprings.com/

http://www.topguncustomz.com/

Did you do a search on here? I know I've seen some lowering builds on here before. If I remember correctly, there was something about using some van control arms. Maybe someone bookmarked this and can help. CW, do you remember this?

BTW, I am changing my V6 to a 318 and I found that motor mount extension at a JY for like $5. It is on the driver's side only. Be sure to compare the motor mount to block as well. My V6 uses 3 bolt tabs to the block and the V8 uses the ears and that is with both being 91 motors. So in addition to the extension plate, you may need the motor mount brackets as well. Nothing major so don't worry.

Hope this helps and good luck with your project.

Last edited by SixGun; 01-04-2013 at 12:40 AM. Reason: motor mount brackets info
Old 01-04-2013, 12:31 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend

i remembered. all the info needed to lower a dodge truck is located in the Ram 1st Gen Do It Yourself information thread post #15.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:57 AM
SixGun
Veteran

Sorry to double post but I found a pic of the brackets I was talking about.

Name:  91318motormounts1_zps2224909f.jpg
Views: 3313
Size:  104.6 KB

Old 01-04-2013, 01:19 AM
ghonhee
Rookie

There is also a lot of information here - In addition to what has already been posted.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:47 AM
SixGun
Veteran

Ha ha... you beat me to it. I was just gonna post that link. Thanks

Quick Reply: 1990 D150 lowering kit?