1st Gen Ram Tech '93 & older Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve 1993 Rams and older. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

88 W150 Cummins Project!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 07:20 PM
otis_771
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 W150 Cummins Project!

Easy As Pie!
I wanted to make a thread about my current project truck because a year ago or so when i was thinking about doing it i had trouble finding information about what i wanted to do and some said it wasn't worth it so this is how it went,
It started with a parts truck i had for my 93 it was a 1990 dodge D250 with a cummins and a 727 auto i was done with the truck and trying to part out the rest including the cummins but at the time i did not have any serious interest in the motor so what i did was tried to find a fun project vehicle that i could drop it into and i found it. I found an 88 W150 reg cab short box already had a 4" skyjacker suspension lift and a 3" body lift it was in rough shape (but nothing that cant be fixed) the best part was there was no motor or trany in the truck as the previous owner had wrecked them both and had already pulled them out to repair them, but it did have the transfer case and both drive shafts, so i picked this beast up for $300 bucks cant complain about that, once i got it home i started digging into it i gutted the engine compartment every screw wire component and clip was removed, i degreased it all and gave it all a fresh coat of paint then i pull the cummins out of the D250 detailed it fixed a couple seals and the KDP then i got a 4x4 727 Diesel trany from a buddy (couldn't use the D250 trany without swapping tail stock) then got ready to drop it in. the only way i could do it was to remove the rad support (needed a new one anyways) and pull the front tires off and drop the axle onto wood blocks then the only modification i had to do to the frame was slot out the one motor mount bolt hole in the cross member then she dropped right in using the stock diesel motor mounts and the factory gas W150 trany mount the only thing i noticed was the trany might sit slightly farther back with the diesel but still goes into the factory mounts, i then bolted the half ton transfer case behind the diesel transmission ( YES a half ton t-case DOES bolt directly behind a diesel trany) this allowed me to use the factory drive shafts and axles ( i did end up buying a 1" spacer for the front driveshaft due to the lift and the slight transmission relocate) as for the front suspension i was waiting for it to drop with the big cummins on top of it but noticed barely any movement im assuming that the skyjacker leaf springs up front are alot stronger then the half ton factory ones, then it came to wiring i took the whole under hood wirning harness apart on my living room floor and removed every single wire i didn't need leaving only the wiring for lights wipers blower motor washer pump alternator and a few engine sensors for the gauges (coolant temp & Oil Pressure) to make things easier i removed the electric shut down solenoid and ran a manual shut down cable into the dash the only wiring i have going to the engine is for the starter, alternator and the 2 sensors, i used all the big battery cables from the diesel as well as the rad support rad and accessory's (alternator, power steering pump and starter) i wired in the external voltage regulator from the diesel and as for the intake heaters (yes i do live in Canada) i used the heavy side wiring from the diesel but for the control side i just ran a momentary toggle switch on the dash and on those cold mornings i just hold them on for ten seconds max and she fires right up. and that is it simple as can be no computers no modules nothing i can start this thing up then pull the battery out and drive all day (as long as i dont need lights or wipers) i later found out that this truck is kinda a mixed bread when getting parts and taking a good look at the truck i thing that it is actually a 84 or older 4x4 chassis with an 88 2wd cab and body on it it has a 9.25 posi rearend but it only has 10" drums on it and from what i have found the last year they came with those was 83-84 (if anyone knows forsure that would be great) this truck is wild after i got it all together i out brand new rims and 35s on it and even with 3.31:1 gears and 35s it will smoke off both back tires all the way threw 3rd and blows sideways on dry pavement well worth it!! now before everyone starts saying stuff like : those axles wont hold up or those driveshafts will twist or snap, this vehicle is not meant to be a daily driver or a tow rig or a sled puller or a rock climber just a fun toy to play around with go threw some mud and turn so heads and so far it works great so anyone thinkin bout dropping a cummins into their half tons i say do it its not hard and will be a blast to drive, if anyone wants to know more about my swap feel free to ask (i do have lots of info for 2wd guys too) i will try to get some pics up its still a work in progress and like any project body and paint is last lol!

Old 01-20-2013, 09:22 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

sounds like a cool project. what part of Ontario are you from?

Old 01-21-2013, 09:52 PM
grimm
Professional

This thread really interests me lol. Been thinking about doing that this summer to my RC. The best part is I know where there's a 91 w250 just sitting. The body and engine are toast but every thing else is there. Just need to find a cummins engine to go with it.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:22 AM
otis_771
Amateur

Im just a little south of kitchener area, i forgot to mention that i had to make a custom drag link for this project i might post another thread i know alot of people have tired to do this and the way i made mine worked perfectly

Old 01-23-2013, 11:02 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

too bad you didn't live closer. i am always trying to find more dodge truck guy that can make it to the Canadian Tire parking lot car show in the summer. there are a couple trucks that show up but it would be nice if i could find more.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:55 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That was a cool story, but man I had a hard time reading it haha. Pics?

Old 02-27-2013, 11:19 AM
buildin' up
Old 12-31-2014, 03:57 PM
SeanWimbush

Hey i was wondering if any of you guys could offer me some advice?

So i just bought a 1978 dodge w150 360/727 trans 4x4, for 2400. When i bought it i knew that it had a tranny leak and the seal needed to be replaced. So i have dropped the tranny and t-case and pulled out the motor. I am at a point where i am not sure what to do with it. I could just rebuild the origional motor and tranny, motor cause it needs gaskets etc. but i would really like to but a 12v cummins in it.

Im a student and sort of on a budget, so any suggestions. Would it cost alot more to put a 12v in it v.s rebuilding the old 360 bomb/vise versa

Old 05-15-2016, 08:57 PM
HeppnerDavid

Wow what a great post to find right now. I may have to do this to replace my pickup my son totaled. Is there any issue with the frame holding the weight of the Cummins? If I put my 250 suspension in it would there be any issue with payload? I would be hauling a 200 gallon sprayer or pulling a horse trailer. Thanks.

David

Quick Reply: 88 W150 Cummins Project!