2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

cargo lamp light, windshield wipers, and other mechanical problems..

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 12:35 AM
03dakotaowner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cargo lamp light, windshield wipers, and other mechanical problems..

Howdy.

I'm having some troubles with the dakota and I'm lookin for some help.

cargo lamp - Every once in a while, my cargo lamp light, will randomly go on and im not sure why. Everything is fine one time driving in my truck, then the next.. the light goes on.

windshield wipers - my windshield wipers like to stay on even when I turn them completely off.. haha why?

lights and horn - A little while ago, whenever I turned my lights on my horn would continuously stay on. funny I know, but is this is a legit problem or could this have been a prank pulled by someone? sometimes my lights don't even have to be on for my horn to randomly go off... so... it basically has a mind of its own. I'm not sure what to do for this but any info would help. As of right now I opened the side panel on the dash and removed the fuse for my horn, which is not smart, but necessary for right now.

Old 02-27-2009, 03:10 AM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This belongs in the 2nd gen dakota section, I'll move it there for you.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:16 AM
99dakota318
Rookie

I Have The Same Problem with the cargo lamp it is probably the ctm computer going bad.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:22 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

All of these problems are probably caused by a faulty Central Timer Module. The wiper problem could be a bad wiper motor. You can also check the switch for the cargo lamp and maybe replace it to fix that problem, and you can check the wiring under the steering column to try to fix the horn problem. If this were my truck I would start by having the Dodge dealer check out the CTM with the DRB scan tool. That's the only way to rule out the CTM.

I bet the CTM in your truck is going bad and is the cause of all the problems, just my opinion though.

Jimmy

Old 03-03-2009, 01:41 PM
03dakotaowner

alrighty, I will try that. Also, do you think you'd have an estimate on the cost a dealer would diagnose and/or diagnose and service my truck?

Thank you for your responses by the way

Old 03-03-2009, 01:54 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If I had to guess, the diagnosis fee is probably 75 to 100 bucks depending on where you live. The cost to replace the CTM if it needs it is probably 300 to 400 bucks, depending on what they charge for the new CTM. Most dealers will apply the diag fee to the cost of the repairs. You can try using a CTM from a junk yard or online source like eBay but the CTM has to be from a donor truck with all the same options as yours. Best way to fix it is with a new part from the dealer.

Jimmy

Old 12-22-2013, 02:04 PM
johns02dodgedakota

Originally Posted by 03dakotaowner
Howdy.

I'm having some troubles with the dakota and I'm lookin for some help.

cargo lamp - Every once in a while, my cargo lamp light, will randomly go on and im not sure why. Everything is fine one time driving in my truck, then the next.. the light goes on.

windshield wipers - my windshield wipers like to stay on even when I turn them completely off.. haha why?

lights and horn - A little while ago, whenever I turned my lights on my horn would continuously stay on. funny I know, but is this is a legit problem or could this have been a prank pulled by someone? sometimes my lights don't even have to be on for my horn to randomly go off... so... it basically has a mind of its own. I'm not sure what to do for this but any info would help. As of right now I opened the side panel on the dash and removed the fuse for my horn, which is not smart, but necessary for right now.

Im having the same problem on my 02 3.9 what did you do to fix it?

Old 12-22-2013, 06:47 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most likely the ctm. This post if from 2009. Who knows guy might never answer. Ctm at the dealer is about 150.00 or so(some charge more and some less so call around) install it yourself much cheaper and easier only takes 5 min.

Quick Reply: cargo lamp light, windshield wipers, and other mechanical problems..