2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Dodge Dakota will not run after transmission fluid changed.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 08:03 PM
bigreed91
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother had gotten one at advance once and wasnt bad but imo i would keep workin with it, i just dont see how itd work fine then completely not do anything after changing the fluid

Old 02-18-2011, 08:53 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm with bigreed here, don't give up on the tranny yet.

Before you even consider replacement get the tranny codes scanned and pressure checked. Any shop that just says its bad without looking at it thoroughly is trying to rip you off.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:10 PM
jrossjr79
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was able to get one code by turning ignition on-off-on-off-on.
Code came up as p 0700
However it seems to be just a generic code pointing to the trans. Need to be able to get codes from the trans controller, but not sure on how. (that is with out a DRB, which cost to much to buy, and seems like only stealerships have, truck wont move, and not towing it to dealership).

I will be testing pressure tomorrow.

Also a update, I remember clearly draining out 6qts of fluid, so I decided to add the 6th quart, same problem still, so no fix on topping oil off. I am wondering if maybe there was a big enough air pocket in the tranny to blow off the filter. Read about that somewhere online.

If after testing the pressure and it fails to fill up a quart after 20 seconds, meaning pump is out or is going out. What is the piece called that I need to replace. I was thinking transmission pump, but those key words give me nothing at online part stores like autozone and oreillys.

Last edited by jrossjr79; 02-18-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:38 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Did you compare the filters you bought?

I checked Rockauto for kicks and apparently there are 2wd and 4wd versions of the filter, deep or shallow sump.

You may not have the right filter and that would explain everything.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:55 PM
jrossjr79

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
Did you compare the filters you bought?

I checked Rockauto for kicks and apparently there are 2wd and 4wd versions of the filter, deep or shallow sump.

You may not have the right filter and that would explain everything.
Filters are the same size, same look, etc. So that would not be the case

Old 02-19-2011, 12:05 PM
jrossjr79

Well it has been raining, so no chance of me working on truck today. At best I will be going to AutoZone and borrowing their ODB II scan tool. See if I can come up with some more info on what is going on. (Fingers Crossed that it will give me more info than P0700)

Old 02-19-2011, 08:43 PM
UWAdventurer
Veteran

My daughter's '05 Dakota had a bad filter. I replaced the filters and fluid a year ago and some how it separated and was blocking the fluid flow into the tranny. It was the flat filter, not the spin on filter. Her symptoms cam on slowly though. Changed the filter and solved the problems.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:29 PM
jrossjr79

Originally Posted by UWAdventurer
My daughter's '05 Dakota had a bad filter. I replaced the filters and fluid a year ago and some how it separated and was blocking the fluid flow into the tranny. It was the flat filter, not the spin on filter. Her symptoms cam on slowly though. Changed the filter and solved the problems.
A mechanic that I was talking to was giving the same impression, although he has not personally looked at it.

Also I been doing alot of reading, and read this:
The quick-learn procedure requires the use of a DRB-III scan tool.
Has anyone had to do this? Is there a way to do this with a DRB scan tool. Only have access to a ODB scan tool

Old 02-21-2011, 05:09 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Haven't done the quick-learn. FSM says DRB is required and you didn't do anything that indicates a need to do it.

I don't think it is an electronic problem.

From the FSM:

The hydraulic control system design (without electronic assist) provides the transmission with PARK,
REVERSE, NEUTRAL, SECOND, and THIRD gears, based solely on driver shift lever selection. This
design allows the vehicle to be driven (in “limp-in” mode) in the event of a electronic control system failure, or a situation that the Transmission Control Module (TCM) recognizes as potentially damaging to
the transmission.

Did you check the volume? That'll tell you if the pump is at least moving fluid.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:32 PM
jrossjr79

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
Haven't done the quick-learn. FSM says DRB is required and you didn't do anything that indicates a need to do it.

I don't think it is an electronic problem.

From the FSM:

The hydraulic control system design (without electronic assist) provides the transmission with PARK,
REVERSE, NEUTRAL, SECOND, and THIRD gears, based solely on driver shift lever selection. This
design allows the vehicle to be driven (in “limp-in” mode) in the event of a electronic control system failure, or a situation that the Transmission Control Module (TCM) recognizes as potentially damaging to
the transmission.

Did you check the volume? That'll tell you if the pump is at least moving fluid.
Volume is still the same, pump is not moving any fluid

Quick Reply: Dodge Dakota will not run after transmission fluid changed.