Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen Dakota 1997 - 2004 Dakota's

Building a high performance 3.9L V6

Old 05-25-2011, 12:00 AM
Professional
1997 Dodge Dakota

Vehicle: 1997 Dakota Club Cab 4X4 3.9L
Default Building a high performance 3.9L V6

I know, I know. Why spend the time and money on the 3.9L V6 when a good 5.2L V8 can be had for the same money and get more performance out of it? I keep asking myself that too. One reason, at least for me is that I have the 3.9L and i dont have the V8. One question: is it true that the 3.9 is just the 5.2 with 2 cylinders cut off? Wouldnt the same .30 over boring and the pistons for it work on the V6? Zeroing the deck and working the heads for a 2.02 intake and 1.62 exhaust valves make more power on the V6 as it does on the V8? Or does it just not work the same with the smaller engine? I honestly want to know. I hope some of you guys who really know their stuff help me on this one. Thanks
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 05-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Grand Champion
2002 Dodge Ram 2500
My Garage

Vehicle: 02 Ram 2500 cummins
Michael Kokoskie

Well I cant answer your question. Ok well I can part of it lol Yes the 3.9 is a 5.2 with 2 cyl's chopped off. Anyway I look at it this way why put money into a engine that after a couple hundred bucks be as powerful as a stock v8. I see the point of some people building up what they have because in some areas the v8s are a dime a dozen. I can get a v8 at my junk yard for 175.00 and they are insurance claims so getting info on them is easy since they have all the paper work, not like they are there cause they have a blown engine. Check your local yard and craigslist. At least with most junk yards they offer a 30 day warranty on engines and trannys.

Last edited by dodgeramguy85; 05-25-2011 at 08:59 AM..
Old 02-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Well a good reason is that the V8 does not just jump in without quite a bit of work. Lots of work for a Gen 1 4WD short nose, particularly if you like a clutch fan and AC. So let's hear more about getting hp and torque out of a 3.9. Stroker kits are nonobtainum. There is a UTube video of a guy that got 400 hp. Overbored 0.090 (safely), to the 360 4.00 bore, and offset ground the crank using Honda rods to get to 270 cubes. Then lots of head and manifold work. Just geting to 200 hp would be great relative to the original 125. Trying to find the details - what rods, pistons, who did the crank work, etc. But he hasn't responded.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:55 PM