2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Thinking about another Dakota.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 07:16 PM
BiggBlu601
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about another Dakota.

So currently i have a 2000 ram 1500 2wd with about 187k its basically a w/t model no power nothing but does have cruise and 5.2l v8. It runs fine and iv had it about 2 years and really been a decent truck. I only really use it for long drive on highway to work and i average about 14-15mpg. I have a chance to purchase a 02 dakota slt with a 3.9 auto, power everything and only 102k. Iv owned 2 rams and 2 dakota all with v8's so i guess my question is is the v6 worth me looking at since im used to a v8? i plan on mainly using for work and to maybe run around town. Not really towing anything cause i have a 07 3/4 4x4 diesel to do that. From what iv read on here mileage ranges from 16-18 on highway. I plan on having the truck at least 2 to 3 more years if not more. If i keep the ram thats about the same amount of time im gonna keep that truck as well. How does the 3.9 hold up considering its a 12 year old vehicle. Any info would be appreciated thanks again.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:52 PM
Blacknights
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A lot of guys will say there isn't much power in the 3.9 but for running around town and loading up the bed, I would say it is just fine. There are 3.9s in 1997 in this subsection that are still running nicely. The 3.9 in quad cabs though are really under powered.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:13 AM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In terms of reliability they are pretty much the same, it is the 5.2 but with 2 less cylinders.

Just speaking of power I would say go with the 5.2. At low end the 3.9 is alright, but it has nothing in the high end.

Since they somehow both get the same mileage (or extremely close) I would say the 5.2 is definitely the preferred motor.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:22 PM
BiggBlu601
Veteran

Ya mostly gonna use it for work i work offshore and travel alot 3 weeks at a time. Although i wouldnt mind finding a 5.2 or 4.7 dakota though but this one has pretty low miles on it and is in pretty good shape. still thinking about it to though.

Old 02-07-2014, 02:02 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

My truck is a 3.9 too and is 13 years old. I have had a few problems with it lately, it needed a new cat convertor assembly (California emissions) had a weird idle problem that I am still working on, I think it's a bad IAC. I swapped in an old oem iac from my V8 throttle body and have not had the idle problem in 2 days now. I had a few other minor problems with a bad battery (4 years is a long time for a battery here in the Florida heat) and when I put in my new battery I found coolant leaking but that turned out to be just loose hose clamps.

At 102k you need to be ready to replace the water pump, ball joints and fuel pump probably some time within the next 20k miles. The 3.9 won't win any drag races but is a good strong reliable engine. I don't know about an automatic but my NV3500 manual is very strong. I don't tow or go off road but I honestly do believe I could shoot my Dakota full of bullet holes and it would still run well enough to get me back home. My truck has been the best and most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

I say if the Dakota is in good shape then go for it.

Jimmy

Old 02-07-2014, 08:59 PM
lambs
Professional

Mine's a '97 Sport with the 3.9 and 5 speed manual, 119k miles. I can tow 3 cubic yards of triple shredded mulch (about a ton) in 4th gear.

On the interstate, if I behave myself I can get 21 mpg. About 18 in town.

Check the lower control arms. They are riveted in place and when the bushings are gone, it will cost a pretty penny to replace them. Heater core replacement requires removing the dash.

But I love my truck.

Old 02-07-2014, 11:39 PM
BiggBlu601
Veteran

Ya i plan on checking out the front end. I basically had to replace the hole front end on this 2000 ram when i first got it, rods, bushings, all that. Only talked to the owner for a few mins but didnt get much info. Pics dont look bad only thing that im worried about is if the truck has been wrecked or something else. Front grille is a different color and for some reason it has split seat with fold down console but the seats they look like the kind in a 97-99 model dakota and not the 2000-04 model looking seats.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

Is there some reason you need a truck to get to work? If you want fuel efficiency, get a smaller sized car with a fairly small engine. Hell, I used to have an Olds 88 with a 3.8 that had lots of power and seemed to get high 20's on highway runs.

Another truck is just gonna get truck mpgs.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:33 PM
BiggBlu601
Veteran

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson
Is there some reason you need a truck to get to work? If you want fuel efficiency, get a smaller sized car with a fairly small engine. Hell, I used to have an Olds 88 with a 3.8 that had lots of power and seemed to get high 20's on highway runs.

Another truck is just gonna get truck mpgs.

True i used to have a 95 ford taurus i would drive to work and it got in the 20's but im just not a car guy. The mpg's are not a big big thing for me just was mainly wanting to know the reliability of v6 since iv never owned one, and i had a decent deal on a younger model truck with alot less mileage on it. Thats all i was really curious of.

Quick Reply: Thinking about another Dakota.