2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

98 Dakota no factory tow package

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 05:15 PM
flexyxj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Dakota no factory tow package

I've got a Dakota that I bought new that didn't have a towing package on it. Now I've decided that I want a Class 3 hitch and the associated wiring. I ordered the OEM trailer wiring harness but can't seem to locate any info on what it entails to install this set-up. I'm going to install a brake controller too.Any suggestions or links to get me pointed in the right direction would be appreciated.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:04 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 07-26-2014, 01:39 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

I got the dodge tap-in connector from auto zone ($35 from Hoppy) and hitch from a junkyard ($50). The Hoppy kit plugs into the body harness under the bed and comes with a 4 way connector, I spliced into it and added a 7 way.

Old 07-26-2014, 10:28 PM
flexyxj

Thanks for the reply... I put on a new Curt hitch today and have the factory harness and it appears to be a fairly straight forward install. The directions that came with it aren't too bad. We'll see. I'm going to install it tomorrow and go to the local parts store and see what I can get for a brake controller and harness for that.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:45 AM
magnethead
Legend

will not be a harness for brake controller, wil have to run your own blue wire from controller to trailer plug. Controller can tap into brake lights, note that our brake lite switch has 3 outputs doing different things and the switch is not to be a remove-to-service item.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:20 PM
flexyxj

Originally Posted by magnethead
will not be a harness for brake controller, wil have to run your own blue wire from controller to trailer plug. Controller can tap into brake lights, note that our brake lite switch has 3 outputs doing different things and the switch is not to be a remove-to-service item.
Ok. I have the factory harness in place with one blue wire into the cab. I also have the harness powered up via the PDC and have everything I'm supposed to have for power at the rear plug except brakes obviously. I haven't picked up a controller yet but would like to finish it yet today. The controller only needs 1 wire to operate the brakes?

Old 07-27-2014, 03:37 PM
flexyxj

Ok. I've looked at lots of things on the web and a basic controller has 4 wires coming out of it. Red=power, Black=ground and Blue and White. I'm assuming the Blue connects to the Blue wire that I ran into the cab from the OEM harness that I installed. I can't find any info as to what the White wire is for. If I understand it correctly, 3 wires is all that's needed to run a brake controller?

Old 07-27-2014, 03:54 PM
flexyxj

Originally Posted by flexyxj
Ok. I've looked at lots of things on the web and a basic controller has 4 wires coming out of it. Red=power, Black=ground and Blue and White. I'm assuming the Blue connects to the Blue wire that I ran into the cab from the OEM harness that I installed. I can't find any info as to what the White wire is for. If I understand it correctly, 3 wires is all that's needed to run a brake controller?
My assumptions on the wiring are all wrong....

Old 07-27-2014, 03:56 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll have power, ground, an output to the brakes, and an input from the brake light switch. I'm not sure of the colors off the top of my head, or if there's even a standard between different brands of controllers.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:09 PM
magnethead
Legend

yes, red and black are power/ground, blue is out to brakes, white is in from brake switch. You will not have pin 5/7 active until you plug in a brake controller.

(brakes are pin 5 on a 5 pin harness and 7 on a 7 pin)

Quick Reply: 98 Dakota no factory tow package