2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

04 Dakota Sound in rear-end.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 01:57 PM
Dakota 04 man
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Dakota Sound in rear-end.

Hi I have a 2004 Dodge Dakota 4x4. When I pull out from a dead stop with the wheels turned to the left or right I hear like a wheel drag sound or a like a rear-end rubbing sound or like a tight sound in the rear-end it is not a clunking sound and I know that it is not in the front-end. I did check the fluids in the rear-end and the front- end and it checked out okay. It doesn't do it all the time if I am moving say 5 mile per hour and turn the wheel left or right it does not do it at all. The sound is very hard for me to describe but to me it seems like something in the rear-end is hanging up. I am the only owner of this truck and it has only 78000 miles on it. Any help would be great thanks.

Last edited by Dakota 04 man; 09-01-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:32 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Disc or drums in the rear?

Old 09-01-2014, 04:35 PM
Dakota 04 man

Did check out all brakes and all look good, Bye the way Disc brakes are the Maine stopping brakes and the drum brakes are the parking brakes they are the drum brakes.

Old 09-01-2014, 04:51 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

How did the parking brake setup look? Shoes intact?

When's the last time you changed your rear end fluid? Is it an LSD? It could just be the clutches.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:09 PM
Dakota 04 man

The brakes looked good no problem there. The rear end fluid is still the same from Dodge. I can change it this coming week end if you think it will help. I was thinking maybe the clutches in the rear are hanging up from time to time because it is not doing it all of the time. Also what does LSD stand for? THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

Last edited by Dakota 04 man; 09-01-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:34 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

LSD, limited slip differential.

You may not have one. If you look in the glove box you might find a build sheet with some option codes. Otherwise this link will tell you how to get one from Dodge:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ur-dakota.html

Old 09-02-2014, 12:49 AM
IndyDak03
Default Prob your differential

I just went through that on my 03. Started making a whining noise a few yrs ago when id turn left. Then it turned to a grinding / slipping noise, and then started doing it on hard take offs from a stop, not just turning. Then this summer the back end started whining when going down the road. Sounded like a bus or dump truck. My mechanic said it was about to go so i got a new rear end put on about a month ago. Noise is gone.

Whats really weird is I've had a a creaking noise when going over bumps every since it was brand new. Thought it was in the suspension, took it to the dealer several times when it was still under warranty, they could never figure it out. So i lived w it for 11yrs, and now that noise is gone to since replacing the rear end.

Old 09-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Dakota 04 man

Originally Posted by IndyDak03
I just went through that on my 03. Started making a whining noise a few yrs ago when id turn left. Then it turned to a grinding / slipping noise, and then started doing it on hard take offs from a stop, not just turning. Then this summer the back end started whining when going down the road. Sounded like a bus or dump truck. My mechanic said it was about to go so i got a new rear end put on about a month ago. Noise is gone.

Whats really weird is I've had a a creaking noise when going over bumps every since it was brand new. Thought it was in the suspension, took it to the dealer several times when it was still under warranty, they could never figure it out. So i lived w it for 11yrs, and now that noise is gone to since replacing the rear end.
COOL!! What did you do buy a new one or a used one and if so what did it coast you? THANKS.

Quick Reply: 04 Dakota Sound in rear-end.