2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

body lift questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 05:50 PM
millis554
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default body lift questions

1998 Dakota SLT 4x4 3.9L (extended cab)
Iv been looking into doing a 2 inch BL. I very mechanically inclined and I am not worried about the install. but before I start I wanted to know what else (if anything) would have to be extended in order to accommodate the extra 2 inches (steering shaft, fuel filler neck, wiring, break lines). I want to make sure I have all the necessary parts I need before I start to pull apart my Daily driver.
thanks in advance, Mike

Old 09-20-2014, 09:47 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You can download the full instructions from Performance Accessories website here.

Old 09-24-2014, 06:01 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I was looking at those kits and it seems they require you to weld two blocks L/R side of the bed to the frame and also cut the 4wd shifter in half and weld an extension on..

other wise i might consider doing it which I think I'd like but does not seem feasable if you have to cut and weld those.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:40 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

I don't see why you couldnt take the 4wd **** off and just get a shaft extension with those threads...welding blocks doesnt make sense either.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:15 PM
sxrsil3nt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe those blocks he's talking about are the overload spacers. You don't need them. Many people throw them away. I never installed them and 2 years down the road with multiple times of having over 1500 lbs in the bed and eveything is fine.

Electronic 4x4 switch doesn't need anything, but yes an extension is required for the floor shifter.

Oh and the only thing you need to extend is the steering shaft. You'll need to raise the front and rear bumpers using the brackets provided and cut your fan shroud.

Brake lines and fuel filler are fine for the 3.9 and 5.2. For the 4.7 I know that you need to extend a radiator hose and possible the fuel filler.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:13 PM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

The fan shroud cutting you mean the ears it says to cut off? I dont think it mentioned anything esle but i would image that would reduce the effectiveness of the fan if its not pulling from the entire rad.

wish some people had some photos of this after finished with the 5.2L truck

on the extension i would be interested if we can find something that can just screw on or we could make our own shafts and do our own threading to accept a coupler and accept the shift ****.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:36 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

I don't have a 4wd so I can't say. But i would think the shifter would be 5/16 shaft with 1/4 coarse threads or 1/2 shaft with 3/8 coarse threads.

Old 09-29-2014, 10:59 AM
jondakotaguy
Record Breaker

you know that's what i find odd; why did they do this kit like this to have to cut/weld the shifter; who not just do a threaded extension instead that makes more sense to me as a kit like this.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:27 PM
Tom A
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
The fan shroud cutting you mean the ears it says to cut off? I dont think it mentioned anything esle but i would image that would reduce the effectiveness of the fan if its not pulling from the entire rad.
This is my biggest gripe about body lifts. I think I would probably take the opportunity to switch over to an electric fan setup and eliminate the stock shroud altogether.

Originally Posted by magnethead
I don't have a 4wd so I can't say. But i would think the shifter would be 5/16 shaft with 1/4 coarse threads or 1/2 shaft with 3/8 coarse threads.
I think it's 10mm x 1.5 or something like that.

Originally Posted by jondakotaguy
you know that's what i find odd; why did they do this kit like this to have to cut/weld the shifter; who not just do a threaded extension instead that makes more sense to me as a kit like this.
My guess (and it's only a guess) is that they're trying to manufacture the kit to a particular price point, and a short length of bar stock is much cheaper than a machined adapter/extension. But if you have decent fabrication skills, the screw-on extender should be reasonably easy to make.

Quick Reply: body lift questions