2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

HVAC Control Panel Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 07:38 PM
dodgesonly
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HVAC Control Panel Problem

Recently the blower fan speed selector switch has became stuck. Somewhere around the 2nd and third speed. So I began looking online, thinking I could possibly just replace that switch and came to the conclusion that the entire control panel must be replaced in order to fix that switch.

So,I wondering if this is the case, or is there something I could try to get it unstuck? And is that particular switch controlled by vacuum like I imagine defrost, air selector switch is?

The truck is a 2000 Dodge Dakota Sport.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:53 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

The switch is not controlled by vacuum.

Yes, the defrost/air selector is.

You might just try picking up a new control panel at a boneyard. That's probably the easiest swap.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:03 PM
Dodgevity
Champion
Received 376 Likes on 338 Posts

Do you mean "stuck", as in you physically cannot turn the ****, or stuck on a single fan speed, no matter where you switch it?

Old 08-20-2015, 04:34 AM
dodgesonly

Physically can't turn it. Never gave any warning it was going out, it just went out.

Well, let me take that back. I pretty sure that I can physically get it to turn, but any harder than I've already went, I'll be holding the broken selector **** in my hand.

I've had to change a couple of those switches on a couple of other older cars before, but never had one just lock up like this one did. So I guess the junkyard it is.

Last edited by dodgesonly; 08-20-2015 at 04:46 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:37 AM
dodgesonly

Originally Posted by 00DakDan
The switch is not controlled by vacuum.

Yes, the defrost/air selector is.

You might just try picking up a new control panel at a boneyard. That's probably the easiest swap.
Thanks, looks like that's what I'll have to do. Is it a pretty easy swap?

Old 08-20-2015, 11:21 AM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Just a couple of connectors, electrical and vacuum.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:28 PM
dodgesonly

Got it fixed with one out of a boneyard. But after closer inspection of the old one after I put the new one in, I seen a good reason the old one crapped out.

Hopefully it was just time (15 years) that caused this, and not an underlying problem that will monkey up the new one. I guess time will tell.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:57 PM
dodgesonly

Also noticed on the back of the control panel that there is just a screw and a couple of clips holding the fan switch on. I'm not really seeing a reason why someone can't just sell the fan switch separately, upon inspection. Or maybe someone does and I just didn't find the right people that are selling it. It just appeared that after searching online, the only option a fella has, is changing the HVAC control panel. While fairly easy, it's a little pricy for a new one.

Oh yea... I noticed the dial (can't say k *** cause it gets automatically flagged a wordy dird ) was exactly in between the second and third speeds when it roasted. Which kind of makes me wonder if it was getting extra current somehow trying to decide between the two, thereby causing the damage? Think I'll mention to my better half to make sure that she has a speed correctly selected the next time she drives the truck, just to be safe.

Would welcome any comments on if anyone suspects it was old age that caused the damage or something else. And especially if someone knows if you can just buy the fan switch by itself, or if indeed the entire control panel needs replaced as I just did. Easy enough, just appears unnecessary upon closer inspection.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:34 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It would be a good idea to find a diagram or schematic of the wiring connector for the fan switch and identify the function and connections of the pin in the switch harness that melted. Anytime you have a melted connector like that it means you have a component somewhere in that circuit that is drawing too much current or has a real bad dead short somewhere. You may need to check out the blower motor resistor and the blower fan motor itself. You can use a clamp style ammeter on the motor's positive wire. If it draws more than about 17 or 18 amps with the fan on high speed, it is pulling too much current and you may have this same problem again some time soon.

Jimmy

Old 08-24-2015, 01:28 AM
dodgesonly

Originally Posted by 01SilverCC
It would be a good idea to find a diagram or schematic of the wiring connector for the fan switch and identify the function and connections of the pin in the switch harness that melted. Anytime you have a melted connector like that it means you have a component somewhere in that circuit that is drawing too much current or has a real bad dead short somewhere. You may need to check out the blower motor resistor and the blower fan motor itself. You can use a clamp style ammeter on the motor's positive wire. If it draws more than about 17 or 18 amps with the fan on high speed, it is pulling too much current and you may have this same problem again some time soon.

Jimmy
Thanks for the good advice Jimmy, definitely something I need to look into soon.

Fudge... I hate dealing with wiring, not my strong suit

Quick Reply: HVAC Control Panel Problem