2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

02 Dakota 4wd 4.7l rebuilt engine now it wouldn't start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 09:39 PM
Mari85
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink 02 Dakota 4wd 4.7l rebuilt engine now it wouldn't start!!!

Hi everyone, I'm trying to help my husband out any way I can thru you guys. He had the engine and cylinder heads rebuilt for his truck 02 Dakota slt 4wd 4.7l . When he put everything back in truck and was ready to start the truck engine turns but wouldn't start. I hate seen him so frustrated, he says is the first time ever that he comes across this issue. He made sure everything was right, timing and everything else, there's spark. He even got three other buddies that also work on cars come take a look at it since it got him scratching his head so bad he wanted to get others opinions and point of view. They seem not to find what could be wrong since they said timing and everything else seems right! Has anyone encounter this problem or any suggestion will be truly appreciated!! Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully respond

Old 05-22-2016, 11:19 PM
crateampsrock
Veteran

I am assuming this was already done, but naturally you would verify fuel, spark, and timing. If fuel and spark are both present and in good condition, then naturally the timing would likely be the cause. If all three of those items are in correct order, then I would start with a compression test and verify fuel pressure. I also assume the battery was disconnected during this rebuild, so confirme Crankshaft PS and Camshaft PS correlation.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:43 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Moved to the correct section.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:57 AM
Mari85
Unhappy

Originally Posted by crateampsrock
I am assuming this was already done, but naturally you would verify fuel, spark, and timing. If fuel and spark are both present and in good condition, then naturally the timing would likely be the cause. If all three of those items are in correct order, then I would start with a compression test and verify fuel pressure. I also assume the battery was disconnected during this rebuild, so confirme Crankshaft PS and Camshaft PS correlation.

Thanks for replying!! Yes everything is been verified for 3 days straight now with no success. There's good pressure, fuel, spark and timing is good that's what's most frustrating to my husband cause everything is were needs to be and still nothing!

Old 05-23-2016, 09:01 AM
Mari85
Talking

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Moved to the correct section.

? Did I post in the wrong section, my bad new to site. Thanks!

Old 05-23-2016, 10:54 AM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't know if you can get any problem codes yet but try the key trick or put a scanner on it.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:05 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Check the compression. The valve timing may be off, it can be tricky to set. Unfortunately he'll have to pull the front cover to verify.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:29 PM
Mari85

So here's were we are right now. My husband double checked the crank ps & cam ps thanks for pointing that out, crateampsrock, those were just installed new from autozone with all other parts when the engine was rebuilt. But we decided to contact the dealer and have the crank ps replaced and the truck actually attempted to start but then it died again. Had a buddy bring a scan and it showed the crank sensor, but that's the part we just put in new!! Now is passing gasoline and it chokes!! The dealer recommended to have the engine control module reset thru them to clear that code so it won't read it anymore and possibly the truck will start. My husband don't even know what else to do from this point after all the money he already have put into it put another $180 that the dealer will charge and not sure if it will fix the issue. Again timing is good, compression, battery, fuel, spark everything is in the right direction where it should be :/ . Thanks everyone for your responses. If we get it fix will let you know for sure, fingers crossed!!

Last edited by Mari85; 05-23-2016 at 05:19 PM. Reason: adding something I needed to mention
Old 05-23-2016, 03:51 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Mari85
? Did I post in the wrong section, my bad new to site. Thanks!

It's ok, that's what us mods are here for. You posted in the generic Dodge Dakota section that no one goes to. I moved it to the correct tech section for the generation of your truck.

Old 05-23-2016, 04:48 PM
98DAKAZ
Champion
Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

To reset the PCM/computer just remove the negative terminal to the battery for a few seconds then reconnect. Check the wire to the crank sensor be sure its not pinched or broken after the reset check again for any codes.

Try poring a little gas down the throttle body or some carb spray just to see if it tries to start.

If you have the original crank sensor install it and try again.

Last edited by 98DAKAZ; 05-23-2016 at 04:55 PM.

Quick Reply: 02 Dakota 4wd 4.7l rebuilt engine now it wouldn't start!!!