2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Nobus prob - pls help

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 01:58 PM
dave12345
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nobus prob - pls help

Hello. I've googled this, but it seems there are many "solutions". Since most of the problems were a little different than mine (usually stalling), I'm hoping to narrow the problem with some more specific info.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Bought my daughter a 1999 dakota. Ran fine for a week. Now the following problem has started:

The gauges stopped working, and "nobus" showed up in the odometer. Everything else seemed to work, truck ran fine. It's just the gauges. that went out. The fuel/abs lights came on.

Daughter told me of problem, and I started it - no gauges. I disconnected the battery, and the problem went away - for 2 minutes. Shut it off and wiggled the connectors to the PCM and restarted it. Seems the dash gauges worked. Idled the engine about 5 minutes, all good. Shut it off for the night.

This morning, started it, no gauges. abs/fuel light are on.
So, I don't think it's heat related. Wiggled the connectors again while running, gauges did not respond.

So, since the truck is not dying, and only the gauges are affected, does anyone know where to start my search? It seems there are so many things that can cause this!

I really don't have the money to take it to a dealer, and i'm afraid to start throwing parts (like a PCM) at it. But I need something reliable for her to drive to college. I'm afraid to let her drive it, as stall may well be the next step in this.

Thanx, any help welcome.
Dave

Old 09-20-2016, 03:32 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome to the forum Dave.

Check the cluster by doing a self test. With the key off, press and hold the trip reset button down. Then turn the key on while holding it for about 10 seconds until CHEC appears in the odometer window. Write down any codes that you see - these aren't P codes, just 3 digit codes.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:01 PM
dave12345

thanx much for the welcome and the advice, dakdan.

Here is what happened. I got no codes, but the gauges were back working. Gauges bounced around, at first, then settled down. Drove around:
after a few minutes, the chime went off (like key, or door open). airbag and abs light came on. a minute later, tac, speedo, stopped working, and i got "nobus". but the other gagues were still working. then another chime, and everything quit. After a minute, gauges all bounced around and started working again.

parked now: Tac worked intermittently. Speedo went to sixty, then maxed, then to 0. Then everything quit. Tested again, no codes. after a few moments i restarted it, and the gauges bounced around, and are now working again.

I'm at a total loss.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:45 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

Check the connections. I don't have the '99 wiring diagram but the '00 is very close. There should be a ground on the lower left side of the instrument panel, see attached. Note the jumper! Make sure it is clean and tight.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
dash.pdf (86.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 09-28-2016, 03:20 PM
dave12345

(sadly) the wires are clean and tight. gauges working today, but I know the next crash is coming.

Help me out on the jumper and how to check it please??

thanx

Old 09-28-2016, 05:02 PM
00DakDan
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator

The jumper connects the dash, which can roll, to the cab body. It ensures a good electrical connection. You can ohm it out with a meter or replace it with a new one if necessary.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:18 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If it's JUST the cluster, I would be looking at interior dash grounds.

Old 10-05-2016, 09:41 PM
David Dudemaine
Rookie

I still have this same problem. Someone switched PCM from mine. Runs good, but no gauges work and have No Bus

Old 10-05-2016, 11:44 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by David Dudemaine
I still have this same problem. Someone switched PCM from mine. Runs good, but no gauges work and have No Bus

If the PCM is the cause of the "NO BUS" then it would likely not run. You should concentrate your diagnosis on the cluster OR something inside like the central timer module. It is the BUS hub for everything.

I'm still suspecting a ground issue.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:57 PM
David Dudemaine
Rookie

I have switched out PCM with another PCM from a similar truck I thought would work. When I did, the truck ran pretty crappy but all the gauges worked. Also, a mechanic tested my truck and told me the PCM was for a van and 5.8 L not a 5.2L Dakota. I am planning on buying the correct PCM from AutoZone and hoping that works. Will keep you posted.

Quick Reply: Nobus prob - pls help