2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rhinolined My ENTIRE Truck w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Getsum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sungod
Why rhino line your truck? Do you get a lot of hail? Seems to me that with the super high quality 500mph paint made to stick to aluminum that you wouldn't need to add several hundred lbs of rubber to your truck.
It all started with me trying to find a paint shop to paint the truck. These guys here at the paint shops are smoking crack...$4000 for a paint job!

I had built up a Defender pickup while I was stationed in England and rhinolined the exterior in orange rhinoliner then wrapped it in black diamond plate with an exterior roll cage...turned out nice!

I went and got an estimate here in town and made a deal with the owner that I would do all the stripping and re-installment of parts and he said they would do the paint for $2250...quite a savings and I got paint that I don't have to freak out about every time I go near a twig while off road.

As to adding "several hundred pounds to the truck"... Have you ever picked up a gallon of paint? How about the rubber compound in the rhinoliner? At best I may have added 50 pounds to the truck. Not to mention that it's a 3/4 ton beast that gets the typical horrible American truck gas mileage anyway...is one really worried about the added weight of paint?

Rhinolining a vehicle is not for everyone...to each his/her own. I can tell you that I have yet to meet a person who didn't think it looked cool and couldn't resist running their fingers across it. The added comfort of having a coating on the truck thats warranted for life, with the paint for 10 YEARS, gives me warm fuzzies as I'm trucking through the woods.

Affordable, tough, high coolness factor.....A winning combo if you ask me!

Last edited by Getsum; 01-05-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:30 AM
joshsbetterhalf
Professional

I went to the gun range with my hubby Thursday night and saw a truck there that had been Rhinolined. I've been told it'll cost about $1200 to do. But my problems are that the truck is from Michigan and has a few rust spots. I guess I have it in typical places. Over the rear wheel wells, across the bottom of the door (primarily the driver's side, passenger's side really doesn't have any at all), and I have some on the bed rail. The bedrail is because there was a cap on there from the day the truck was driven off the lot until Nov 2009.

Do you know if I would need to repair the rust first or do you think that just putting the bedliner over the truck would stop the rust?

I personally think your truck looks GREAT, but I'd really like the texture of the rhinoline to show and be very apparent, where as yours is underneath paint. Do you know if there's another alternative to the air craft paint that would make it less of a glossy/satin finish? Or is it really even necessary for a truck that gets the snot beat of it?

Old 09-05-2010, 09:52 AM
CappinHoff
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joshsbetterhalf
I went to the gun range with my hubby Thursday night and saw a truck there that had been Rhinolined. I've been told it'll cost about $1200 to do. But my problems are that the truck is from Michigan and has a few rust spots. I guess I have it in typical places. Over the rear wheel wells, across the bottom of the door (primarily the driver's side, passenger's side really doesn't have any at all), and I have some on the bed rail. The bedrail is because there was a cap on there from the day the truck was driven off the lot until Nov 2009.

Do you know if I would need to repair the rust first or do you think that just putting the bedliner over the truck would stop the rust?

I personally think your truck looks GREAT, but I'd really like the texture of the rhinoline to show and be very apparent, where as yours is underneath paint. Do you know if there's another alternative to the air craft paint that would make it less of a glossy/satin finish? Or is it really even necessary for a truck that gets the snot beat of it?
You would have to repair the rust. If you didn't the rust would still grow under the Rhino line.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since it's getting rhino lined anyway you could just grind the rust off shortly before you get it done and hit it with some primer.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:56 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

i didnt read thrugh the entire thread, but how much did that run you? my truck is blue, and full of light scratches now due to my offroading, and your truck looks awesome, very cool idea...

Old 09-05-2010, 05:13 PM
SplatSTi
Professional

Thats sweet!!

A buddy on arfcom did the line-x route on his trophy truck, it came out pretty sweet too.

Name:  DSCN5149.jpg
Views: 3682
Size:  212.1 KB

Old 09-05-2010, 10:45 PM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

trophy truck in virginia?

Old 09-05-2010, 11:28 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

im not a fan of ford at all, but that Ranger looks pretty sick...

Old 09-06-2010, 01:09 PM
donizer
Rookie

I bought my truck entirely rhinolined...prolly the worst idea every. rear quarters rusted out behind it. Im in process of stripping it, and its not fun....even a little bit

Old 09-06-2010, 01:22 PM
squarebit
Amateur

That is the coolest thing ever!

Would love see some pics of it after a few bush miles...

Quick Reply: Rhinolined My ENTIRE Truck w/pics