2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Odd 46RE Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 05:24 PM
jmopar20
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd 46RE Transmission Issue

I've read these forums for days and am unable to find anyone that has had this exact issue.

What I've got: 1997 Dodge Ram 4x4, 318, automatic. 260k miles on title

What happened: about halfway to town one day (about 6 miles of driving) the check engine light came on. Once I got to town (another 6 miles), I had no transmission at all. Acted like it was in neutral. Coasted into a parking lot, shut it off, started it back up, put it in drive, pulled up about 10 feet, then nothing. Acted like it was in neutral again. Shut it off, started it back up, same thing. It will move after you first start it up, but after about 10 seconds or so, nothing. Same for reverse and drive. Checked the code, it was a p0740. Checked the fluid, level was fine. Was making a whining sound when it was put in gear

What I did: I dropped the pan and let it drip for close to 10 days before my parts came in. I ordered the A518 46RE 47RE Governor Pressure Solenoid Sensor Repair Service Kit 1996/1997 HD from Cascade transmission parts, and I replaced the governor pressure solenoid, the governor pressure sensor, the 3-4 accumulator spring (the old one was broken when I took it out), and the trans filter. I did not replace the output speed sensor although I have the new one that came with the kit. The fluid in it looked great, there was no sludge or metal shavings in it anywhere, almost as if it had been changed sometime fairly recently. I bolted the pan back up, poured 4 full quarts of atf+4 in it, and started the truck and let it idle in neutral for about 20 minutes. Checked the fluid level, and it was right on the minimum mark at the safe line. Drove it down the road for about a mile, in Drive, and it would not shift into overdrive. Turned around, came back and this time manually shifted it, and it did go into overdrive. Let it sit overnight, got back in it the next day after removing the battery connection to let the computer reset, and took it down the road only to have it do the same thing as the night before. However, after parking it at the house and letting it run at idle in neutral for another 5 minutes, would not move when I put it in drive. Shut it off, started it up, and it would move for about 10 seconds, then stop. It is doing the exact same thing it was before I replaced the parts. No check engine light yet, but still makes the whining sound sometimes.

I've searched and read through dozens of threads and I have no idea what is going on. I e-mailed cascade transmission parts and they said they had never heard of that issue. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 11-21-2014, 05:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

How are your bands? Are they adjusted properly?

Old 11-21-2014, 05:35 PM
jmopar20

I have not checked, had to come on in to work but I'm heading back to it tonight and I can look, then I'll post back. I received an email back from Cascade Transmission, they suggested I let it run in neutral for several minutes and check the fluid again, he didn't think I had put enough in

Old 11-21-2014, 05:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Entirely possible. Fluid doesn't really circulate in park... so, have to check in neutral. Make sure you at least manually shift it thru the gears once or twice as well. (don't have to move it, just make sure you hit all the gears. Fills the valve body, etc.)

Old 11-21-2014, 06:43 PM
jmhd1989
Veteran

i just did fluid and band adjustment on my trans. let it sit for about 8 days and drain and it lost about 8 and some change quarts... so if you let it drain for ten you should need more then 4 qts added. make sure its running and in neutral and as HeyYou says go through gears a few times. Make sure you aren't getting your reading from the oil left on the sides of the fill tube. if it is not on both sides and thick then its not the right reading it is from the sides of the tube. bands also should be adjusted. you need a 8mm square socket for the adjustment in the pan and a t40 i believe for the top. when i first added fluid i added only 4 qts because that is how much the pan holds and it slipped jerked stalled and everything in between. as i added fluid it got better and better and once it got to appropriate level it is smoother than ever. good luck to you hope that helps

Old 11-21-2014, 06:53 PM
jmopar20

Ok great advice, thank you. I've never adjusted bands, I'm sure there are youtube videos that show how so I may try that next. Are the bands inside the pan, and I'll have to drop it again to get to them?

Old 11-21-2014, 07:01 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

One on the inside, one on the outside.

If you don't have it already, grab the 96 service manual from here. Procedure is in there.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:14 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

I wonder if the pump is going out? That is kind of what it sounds like to me.

Old 04-04-2022, 09:02 PM
xBAIZEx

Originally Posted by jmopar20
Ok great advice, thank you. I've never adjusted bands, I'm sure there are youtube videos that show how so I may try that next. Are the bands inside the pan, and I'll have to drop it again to get to them?
did you ever figure this out? My 01 has done the same thing.

Old 04-05-2022, 06:02 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

It’s an 8 year old thread……his symptoms lead me to believe check valve is stuck not allowing fluid to cycle thus creating problem stated

Quick Reply: Odd 46RE Transmission Issue