2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Having brake problems...please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Dodgegirl88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Having brake problems...please help

I have a Dodge 95 1500. I've been having break problems for a long time now. We have put new break pads on changed all the springs and the adjusters.

First problem....If you hit the brakes hard (fast) like if someone were to pull out in front of you, they work ok. If you hit them slow, to start slowing down they will just go to the floor and you have to pump them for them to work a little. I have plenty of brake fluid and we've blead them. You can adjust the brakes and they'll work great, but after you've hit the brakes a few times we are back to square one.

Second problem...When I try and park the truck, as you are turning into the parking spot and letting off the brake a bit, the brakes will all of a sudden work very well. It will slam to a stop. And it only does this the one direction.

If anyone knows what might be going on please let me know. I am so sick of this problem. It's getting where we don't want to drive the truck becasue the brakes are so bad. I show horses and will be pulling a trailer again in just a couple of weeks. So i need to get this fixed asap.

Husband was thinking of getting a new master cylinder? What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Old 03-02-2010, 05:45 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi , and welcome to DF. make sure the brake line above the gas tank is not leaking.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The first problem sounds like there is still air in the lines, the second one however puzzles me too.....

Welcome to DF! are you a Jr fan by any chance?

Old 03-02-2010, 06:18 PM
seabass202
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the first problem is the master cylinder. the second problem is a bit more bizarre, check the caliper slides and hub bearings...

Old 03-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Dodgegirl88

Thank you for all the welcomes!

We haven't found any leaks. If it were leaking I should be losing break fluid, right? That's full.

Tomorrow we'll check the caliper slides and hub bearings. Thanks for that idea. I'm going to call around tonight and see how much the Master Cylinder will be.

Maxx...are you talking abought Jr as in the race car driver? Thats the only Jr I know! lol yes, I am a fan.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Maxx_Magnum
Record Breaker
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ha hell yeah! been an Earnhardt fan since I was a kid, and still pull for Jr. I noticed the 88 in your name, so I had to ask. I figured it was either that, or you were born in '88 lol

Old 03-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Dodgegirl88

Maxx...

lol the 88 is the year I was born. But I have become a big fan of racing in the past couple of years. By far, Jr is a favorite along with his dad.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:56 PM
yakkier
Banned

welcome to DF, have you fully bled the whole system ? i personally would start at the mastercyl and work your way through all 4 corners of the truck. The mastercyl still needs to be bled reguardless of which side of the truck you have done, alot of guy's will say you dont have to but all road's lead to the mastercyl when you're dealing with brakes.

Better safe than sorry and you will be able to check that one off your list

Old 03-02-2010, 09:02 PM
Dodgegirl88

I'm pretty sure we've bled the whole system. But I will double check with my husband on that one. Thanks!

Old 03-02-2010, 10:46 PM
2001Ram
Captain

I would get a new Master Cylender too!

Quick Reply: Having brake problems...please help