2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck stalls once it gets warm

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 07:00 AM
MOPARMANIAC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Truck stalls once it gets warm

Help i'm at my wits end my 94 ram 2wd 318 truck runs fine ,starts fine But it stalls when it gets warm but only once if I watch the temp gauge and shut it off for 3 minutes and restart it it start and runs fine and it will run the rest of the day starting and stopping untill it sits and gets totaly cold again .i now start it and let it run for 15 - 20 minutes before i leave for work shut it off let it sit and then start it up and it works fine. Any Ideas

Old 12-31-2010, 09:17 AM
Annihilator_X9
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically something isn't going right when it switches to closed loop. Does it stall at idle or while you're driving?

Old 12-31-2010, 09:49 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

does it stall repeatedly, or only the one time
beware, guessing might cost you a bundle in unecessary parts, but here goes..

if its repeatedly, i'd guess an electrical problem like coil.
check for 12v at the coil, check for spark at the plugs.

if its only once, and then "resets" and acts right, then i don't have a guess.

if its an idle problem, i'd look into IAC or TPS, and see if i could keep it running with light pressure on the gas pedal.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:01 AM
MOPARMANIAC

it does it when you are moving or stopped that doesnt seem to matter and only once like I said if you shut it off before its totally warm and let it sit after a couple minutes you can start it and it will be fine ,Its like a dirty or slow contact once it closes it good to go till it opens again. It sure has me puzzled.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:19 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if its an electrical relay problem, you could try swapping the relays for ASD and/or fuel pump, etc with something like wipers, horn, etc.

during the 1-2-3 minutes where it won't start, you might could check for loss of spark or fuel pressure.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:34 AM
MOPARMANIAC

do these relays have a cold and warm mode it does this like clock work if I dont let it warm up and shut it off first and just drive it .It will shut off within a 1/2 mile every time but it is gettig worse it started that i could just coast put it in neutral and restart it now it takes 1 to 2 minutes but its also colder out side.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:16 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Nope, relays either work, or they don't. No difference by temp. (at least, not by design......)

Old 08-24-2022, 06:50 AM
Tire on Top
Default Did you fix your problem

Originally Posted by MOPARMANIAC
do these relays have a cold and warm mode it does this like clock work if I dont let it warm up and shut it off first and just drive it .It will shut off within a 1/2 mile every time but it is gettig worse it started that i could just coast put it in neutral and restart it now it takes 1 to 2 minutes but its also colder out side.
I have the exact same problem. Did you ever get the problem repaired? If so, what was the issue and what was the fix?

Old 08-24-2022, 06:26 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Tire on Top
I have the exact same problem. Did you ever get the problem repaired? If so, what was the issue and what was the fix?
Thread is 11 years old and he isn't active in the forums anymore. Start your own thread and try to give as much details as possible and we will be happy to help.

Quick Reply: Truck stalls once it gets warm