Go Back   DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 2nd Gen Ram Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1998 RAM Infinity Bypass

Old 06-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Default 1998 RAM Infinity Bypass

I have a 1998 RAM 2500 SLT Club Cab with an infinity stereo system. I had a blown factory driver side speaker and a factory AM/FM/Cassette H/U. So I decided to change out the H/U, which I have done (with a pioneer unit), but still have the bad speaker. I tried to find a factory speaker and could not find one. I now want to get new front speakers but would prefer not to completely rewire for them. I can see by reviewing other threads that it appears other people smarter than I have used the existing wiring harness but I can not find specific information/instructions. In the front door I have a 6-pin connector ( orange, purple, brown,yellow, green and blue) that goes into to the amp attached to the speaker. Then coming out of the amp are the black and red wires attached to the speaker terminals. If I simply wire my new speakers to the red and black I believe I am not bypassing the amp, but using it improperly because the new speaker resistance does not match the factory speaker resistance. I would like to cut the wire harness just before the amplifier and splice into whichever of the wires I need for the new speakers. Is this possible? If it is possible, how do I determine which 2 of the 6 wires to use? I know how to determine which is + and which is - once I have the wires...I just don't know how to find the right wires for the speakers. I believe the rear speakers are not dependent upon the amplifier connection but am not sure if they are tied into the front speaker wiring harness. I assume if I splice out of the wiring harness for the new front speakers that I will lose the A-pillar tweeters (not the end of the world). I have searched the net for two days trying to find a solution. As you can see I am not an audio guy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!
This ad is not displayed to registered and logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Dodge Forums!
Old 06-13-2010, 03:29 PM
Record Breaker
1998 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 98 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Send a message via MSN to Maxx_Magnum Send a message via Yahoo to Maxx_Magnum

If you have replaced the head unit, you can replace the speakers and just wire them up direct to the pioneer. I have wiring diagrams if you need them as well... not sure if you can wire the existing tweeters in there somehow still or not, but someone will know

welcome to DF!

1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 QuadCab 360ci auto
2007 Mazda3 GT 2.3L 5-spd ATX
http://www.youtube.com/user/MaxxMagnum
Old 06-13-2010, 10:15 PM
Garage is empty, add now

I would love to get a copy of the wiring diagram you mentioned. Thanks!
Old 06-19-2010, 03:55 AM
1993 Toyota Truck
My Garage

Vehicle: 1999 Ram Sport 1500
baknblk99ram

I'm not sure on the 98, but on my 99 there were two wires on the amp that went to the tweeters. I wired these into the door speakers and they all worked. In my truck there is an mini amp on each speaker. I just got the wire that is the input to the amp and the wires that go the tweeters and wired them all into my front door speakers. Now I have all my speakers working properly. Was a little time consuming trying to track down all the proper wires but I think it was well worth it.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:14 PM
Record Breaker
Garage is empty, add now

see if this helps ya

A Right Rear Spkr (-) Blue w/ White Stripe
B Left Rear Spkr (-) Brown w/ Yellow Stripe
C Right Front Spkr (+) Purple
D Left Front Spkr (+) Dark Green
E Right Rear Spkr (+) Blue w/ Orange Stripe
F Left Rear Spkr (+) Brown w/ Blue Stripe
G Power Antenna/Amp White (use for Infinity Radio)
H +12 Volt Battery Wire Pink or Pink w/ White Stripe
I +12 Volt Ignition Wire Red w/ White Strip
J Radio Dimmer Wire Do Not Use
K Headlight Dimmer Wire Do Not Use
L Right Front Spkr (-) Blue w/ Red Stripe
M Left Front Spkr (-) Brown w/ Red Stripe
N No Wire
Metal Braid Or Plastic Connector Attached To Back Of Radio Is The Ground Wire

But takin those little amps out might require you to turn the radio up more than normal, just a heads up. maybe come back later and install a new amp that runs to both doors. and as for ur tweeters, just run the 2 wires for them down to the + and - on the door speaker leads and soder them all together. will work like a charm.
'93 RamCharger Black Canyon Sport, 5.9L-360, 35x12.50x15 ProComp Xtreme MT2, 4" Suspension Lift,Warn Locking Hubs, Chrome-Moly Axle Shafts, CAD Delete, Locked Dana 44, Limited Slip Rear 9.25, Top-End Rebuilt, Hughes FI Air Gap, Pacesetter Headers, Cherry Bomb Extreme, No Cat, Spectre 14x3, Smittybilt XRC8 Winch, Custom Front Bumper, and more...
Old 08-16-2010, 02:31 AM
Professional
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 98 Dodge Ram

Ok, so let me get this straight.....you tap into the wires before the pin connector....and tap into the wires for the tweeter and run 2 new wires to the 6x9s?

My buddies 2000 Ram has a blown speaker, gave him my old speakers out of my truck...went to replace them....and to my surprise, he had infinity's. I'm used to the + and -wires....but the whole wiring harness made me scratch my head.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:45 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 98 Dodge Ram 2500 slt

i have a 98 dodge ram 2500 i just bought and hooked up a brand new pioneer deh-6300ub head unit. When i got done only my back speakers work. the front speakers did work before, but sometimes my driver side would cut out or not work. it does not have a infinity sound into it.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge RAM 1500 SLT

I have a 95 1500 SLT with Infinity sound. It has a the main door speaker, a door tweeter and a smaller speaker behind the front seat by your shoulder.

My head unit died and I replaced it with an aftermarket. The wiring harness all matched up just fine but now my door speakers do not work, only the tweeters and a bit of sound out of the rear speakers. Anyone have any ideas? Is there something in the Infinity head unit that makes the door amps run?
Old 09-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Banned
1998 Dodge Ram 1500

Vehicle: 1998 Ram 1500 QCSB 360 4x4

The Infinity unit is not amplified.
Pretty much every other aftermarket HU is amp'd. Sooo, just get new speakers.
Prolly need 'em anyway.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500

Probably something that hints to the door amps to turn on.... You can grab the 95 service manual from the FAQ section, and look up the wiring diagrams.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:20 PM

Tags
amplifiers, infinity, speaker