2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Track bar

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 01:05 AM
EvIl KrAkEn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Track bar

Ok, I believed this triggered it when I put my 3" leveling kit on my dodge, but I started noticing knocking in my floor boards and really really bad on the passenger side, and I immediatly figured it was the ball joints, but before a long time ago i could push on the top of my wheel really hard and feel something loose like my wheel was loose but it wasnt. so I went to my friend and shower him and hes like dude i know what it is and he told me pan arm bar or sway bar, so I looked it up and couldnt find anything so I did ball joints and they said upper and lower but I looked at my "track bar" again and i was like upper and lower and left and right? theres 2 nuts on here it cant be $600 to fix, so I got a pdf file from here and about a hour later I found out it was the track bar, which seemed to solve alot of problems to me, like a slight wobble going down the road, and like no suspension absorbtion in the front, anyways what im getting at is I need to know how to fix the track bar correctly for atleast 5 months or where I can buy one for cheap? if anyone knows anything that will be great, thanks

Old 09-18-2010, 07:23 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

First of all, don't tell everyone you take showers with your friend! 2nd, look in the FAQ section and download the FSM. It will have the trac bar in it, it's easy to replace and any parts store should have one. Don't go too cheap, get a MOOG at least. 3rd, it sounds like you have multiple issues, as far as the knocking goes, that could be loose lower shock bolts or the bushing on the bottom of the steering column under the brake booster is bad. Reach under the booster and grab the column and see if it moves up and down and sideways. Here's a fix for that http://www.rocksolidramtrucksteering.com/

Old 09-18-2010, 08:27 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

knocking in floorboard is loose lower front shock bolts. must be torque to something like 105 lbs or guess what, they knock. if that doesn't fix it remove the lower bolts and check them for being eroded away in the middle. they might need replacement.

get any track bar with a lifetime warranty. moog is best but pricey.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:39 AM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the mooge track bar from advance is 213.99, well at least thats what id pay for it. you on the other hand have to add tax onto it. but its not terribly pricey...

Old 09-18-2010, 08:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

There was another brand that also came with a lifetime warranty, that was 50-80 Dollars less than the moog, but, when comparing them side by side, I couldn't tell a difference. Got mine at advance. Under 150 bucks.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:52 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i'd want to see it beside a moog before using it, but autozone has a lifetime warranty for $140. but, its a special order, and they don't carry moog, so you'll not be able to lay them out side by side in the store before buying.

the thing about front end parts is they take a lot of effort to install, so to me, purchase price is not as important as trying to avoid doing it again in only a couple of years. the other brand at Advance is TRW. they likely manufacture the Moog bar (for Moog).

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...p2HomeClicked=

Old 10-18-2010, 05:31 AM
Nicko

Hi,
I got 2" leveling kit on my 98 Dodge ram 1500 and now I've noticed it has shifted my front wheels to right hand side.
Can adjustable track bar fix that or I got more serious problem,it drives ok a bit rought but other wise ok.
It's my first Dodge Ram and I'm from Australia and there is very little known about them here.
Can someone help me out.
Thanks

Old 10-18-2010, 06:03 AM
MaxPower1971
Professional

Originally Posted by zman17
First of all, don't tell everyone you take showers with your friend!
ROFL!!!!!!!!

For track bars, I would also go with Moog, and if you search a bit on the net you can get one for under 200$, shipping included.

The knock on your floor as dvaughn and zman said, sure points to your lower shock bolts, or a broken coil spring (shock absorber bottomming out). Steering bushing would be perceived as a floor knock but it knocks on the firewall usually pretty loud! I had mine done by Dodge, if only I knew about the rock solid, I would have went for that.

Last edited by MaxPower1971; 10-18-2010 at 06:07 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:36 AM
03neonSE
Veteran

I have a TRW track bar and its been holding up really well. I had it since Febuaury. I only paid like $140-ish but its equivalent to a Moog but less expensive. I was told, before Moog, TRW was a top seller in chassis components.

Quick Reply: Track bar