2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

When adjusting the tv cable how do you know if the tv body is closed ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 11:14 AM
candymancan
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When adjusting the tv cable how do you know if the tv body is closed ?

I think thats what its called the throttle valve body on the transmission. I know how to adjust the tv cable itself, but without having anyone helping me i dont know where the tv cable goes too on the transmission.

Is it the cable that connect's to all those brackets with the spring and what looks like hydraulic arms ? If so when i unplugg the TV cable how do i know which way is closed and which way is open ? So i make the adjustment correctly just in case its sticking open or something.

This is the 46re im talking about, see those little arms on the left. Thats where the tv cable is attached too right ?

Last edited by candymancan; 02-03-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:18 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Should be a spring to position the arm on the trans so when you release the throttle, the lever goes back to its "home" position.

Take a look at where the cable connects. It can only pull in one direction, so, if you just press on that with a finger, to push the opposite direction the cable pulls from, you should be able to make sure it is seated all the way. Might be able to jam something in there to make sure it doesn't move when you try and adjust it. Just remember to remove it before you go for a drive.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:20 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The spring holds it in the correct/closed position if the cable is not damaged. Push/pull it in the same direction the spring pulls it to verify seated/closed position. Then do the adjustment at the TB.

Edit: yes I type too slow!LOL

Old 02-03-2011, 11:23 AM
candymancan
Veteran

I add'd a picture, its an old pic when i replaced the NSS because it was leaking but those arms are where the tv cable into right ? The only spring i saw was right there, and its pulling toward to the front of the vehicle. You can even see part of the spring in there, see where it is latched on the bracket. Looks like a paper clip sorta

Old 02-03-2011, 11:26 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Yes that's it. Everything is there. I wouldn't worry about anything down there. The fluid has kept everything lubed nicely

Old 02-03-2011, 11:31 AM
candymancan
Veteran

So you think its closed when i take the tv cable off the throttle body lever ? I already have my TV cable adjusted from before, but i never bothered checking under the tranny to see if it was closed or not. Just decided today what the hell make a thread and ask how to check that.

My transmission still shifts hard from 2nd 3rd i cant figure it out. Its so hard sometimes that i can see the front end when i watch the hood of the vehicle and its pulling itself down. Remember whe ni made my thread and i said i was shifting to fast ect and it was slipping sometimes when it shifted to 3rd, how it would drop back to 2nd and then go back to 3rd really quickly ? Adjusting the tv cable fixed the slipping it hasnt done it all winter, but that hard shifting between 2nd and 3rd bothers me.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:36 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

Originally Posted by candymancan
So you think its closed when i take the tv cable off the throttle body lever ?
Yes. What did you use as a guide to adjust the cable?

Old 02-03-2011, 11:52 AM
candymancan
Veteran

The one you guys gave me.

Pull the black cable end off the throttle lever ****, take the white clip off.

Grab the cable sheeth in the back and while holding the black plastic cable end (that went into the ****) straight i pushed the cable sheeth foward and aligned the center line thats in the middle of the black plastic tip with the throttle **** and while holding it right there i put the white clip back on.

Doing it like this the black mark i made before i adjusted it to show where it was before disapeared the cable is now like 1/16 or a little more foward then it was when i bought it. Im wondering since they replaced the engine mounts if they just adjusted the tv cable wrong and I did it right and it was just that much out of adjustment or what. It doesnt slip anymore going 3rd-2nd-3rd, but the hard shift from 2nd -3rd bothers me alot. Im not joking when you see the front end of the vehicle going down when it shifts to 3rd. A higher throttle usually eliminates this, but a slow throttle in slow traffic it will kinda buck hard.

Want me to make a little video on how i adjusted it, or does what i said make sense ?

Last edited by candymancan; 02-03-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:05 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

So when you remove the cable end from the TB it lines up like this correct? https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-in-trans.html .Do not pull the cable to check or line up, of course pull it to remove it , but release it to check alignment.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:31 PM
candymancan
Veteran

Yea i dont pull the cable i grab the cable sheeth in the back and push it foward like the guide said. Pictures are blank in that link, when i release the cable from the **** and take the white clip off the cable goes like 2 inchs toward the firewall, and then i grab the cable behind the white clip thats wrapped in the black sheeth and i push it foward while holding the wire straight and i align the center line with the **** and then put the white clip on.

So yea if i just take the cable off the throttle lever and leave the white clip on all i have to do is hold the thing up and its directly center with the ****. Like in this pictures, except in this pic its still a little to far back you can see the center line is off by like 1/8, the way i have it now its a little further foward.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...gfjgfjfgjf.jpg

Anyway i messed with the spring a little down there and i noticed after wiggling it a little and then going for a drive the jerking is almost gone now. Its wierd. It doesnt chug or jerk much at all anymore. Still does it but not nearly as bad, specially on low throttle. All i did was wiggle the spring too

Last edited by candymancan; 02-03-2011 at 03:35 PM.

Quick Reply: When adjusting the tv cable how do you know if the tv body is closed ?