2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:47 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

Oxygen Sensor Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 12:14 AM
Powder$kier30
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oxygen Sensor Questions?

Hello fellow Dodge heads. My truck is a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport 4door, 4x4, 5.2L 318. I have searched everywhere on here and in my Haynes manual to find out how many O2 sensors are on my truck and can't find a credible answer. I am under the impression that there are 4 total, one pre Cat and one post Cat on each side. I am confused when I read "only in California" etc. I live in Idaho so I don't have emission guidelines as strict as CA, but we still have them. Before I make this post too confusing, I will post my questions orderly as follows:

1. How many o2 sensors does my truck have?
2. What are the best brand of o2 sensors? I assume NTK?
3. What are some tricks to removing the old sensors if they are stuck when I go to remove them? High heat treating with a torch?
4. What part number NTK sensors do I need? I am slightly confused understanding the difference between A/T (Calif.) and M/T rated sensors and what thes abbreviations stand for at NTK's website: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/part_fi...uv/results.asp . Please help.

My orignal symptoms are the classical stalling/cutting out during excelleration. It goes away if I let off and after engine is warm. I understand that it can be a clogged CAT, plenum gasket, etc., but I am pretty sure it is only faulty o2 sensor/s. I will start there. I don't think the CAT is clogged and I thing I have been blessed to not have plenum gasket failure. I will be sure to post my end result but I need to know how many sensors to purchase before I do the job. One last thing, my gas mileage is horrible right now and has gotten excesively worse along with the stalling, I am excited to see an increase in fuel mileage. Thank you in advance for all who read this and reply.

Last edited by Powder$kier30; 02-22-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:38 AM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Should have 2 unless it was manufactured to be sent to and sold in cali.

All of the symptoms you cited indicate a clogged cat. A bad o2 would set a code and turn on your cel (a clogged cat does too, but it doesnt happen until its REALLY clogged); you sure your plenum is good?

Last edited by Mad_Scientist; 02-22-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:40 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Powder$kier30
1. How many o2 sensors does my truck have?
Should be two on a Federal emissions vehicle. The best bet, though, is to crawl under the truck and look.

2. What are the best brand of o2 sensors? I assume NTK?
NTK or whatever the dealership hands you.

3. What are some tricks to removing the old sensors if they are stuck when I go to remove them? High heat treating with a torch?
Soak 'em down with a good quality penetrating oil overnight, and if they hang up use mechanical shock to fracture the rust. Heat might work, but where they're located I'm hesitant to go with a flame.

4. What part number NTK sensors do I need?
If you've got a Federal emissions truck, go with the Federal emissions parts. If you can't find any other indication of the original destination of the truck, get a build sheet from Chrysler (the quick way is to visit a dealer with your VIN handy) to find out. It's a safe bet that if the truck wasn't originally sold in California it's a Fed truck.

Old 02-25-2011, 07:40 PM
TLars
Rookie

Hey guys - I was amazed of how easy it was to get mine out to check it. It looks like a rust color. I'm at 106k. I think its original - should I go ahead and replace or save the $70 for something else for now?

Old 02-25-2011, 07:44 PM
grox
Veteran

Yeah, my O2 sensor didn't even require a wrench to remove it.

I would replace it, check Rockauto.com. It ought to be around $40 for an NTK, at least on my OBDI truck it was that much.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:03 PM
TLars
Rookie

I see there is an upstream and downstream. My cat is a 2 in / 1 out and the sensor is kind of in the middle. ???

Old 02-25-2011, 08:05 PM
grox
Veteran

The upstream is more important, and that is the one in the cat.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:44 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain

Originally Posted by TLars
Hey guys - I was amazed of how easy it was to get mine out to check it. It looks like a rust color. I'm at 106k. I think its original - should I go ahead and replace or save the $70 for something else for now?
Dont fix what aint broke.

I just rolled over 177k on my original ones, never had a problem. They look rusty on the outside because of heat, humidity, mud, etc. If you pull one, the probe is likley soot covered, but just fine.

Save the money

The following users liked this post:
frankiedon53 (01-19-2021)
Old 02-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain

edit: <deleted> double posted

Old 02-25-2011, 09:47 PM
grox
Veteran

The service life of an O2 sensor is between 60K and 100K miles (depending on type), so it should be changed.

Quick Reply: Oxygen Sensor Questions?