2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 10:39 AM
mr.mike
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help

A few months ago someone tried to steal my truck and they failed. I don't know what stoped them but when I came out in the morning I found my truck on and in drive with the steering column busted up at the ignition switch and the automatic gear shift broken off. I assume it had been sitting like that for a few hours because my gas was almost ran out. I call the cops and they do there thing after they left I tried to get it into park. I was able to pop it in to nutrel and it re engaged my starter and started to burn it up. I ran into my apartment to get my tools and by the time I returned it had shut itself down but kept trying to crank and the starter smoked untill I got the battery removed. Due to money issues it sat for three months. Two weeks ago I began working on it. I replaced the starter, ignition switch, and key cylinder. Once installed I tried to start it and to my amazment it started right up. Here is where it gets weird the abs and airbag lights come on and stay on. I replaced both speed sensors (diff and tranny 2wd) still the abs light is on and no speedo or odom. Checked codes and n codes. Airbag says it on because of (loss of ignition run only). Could I have installed the ignition switch wrong causeing all of this? Also I have no power to my blower motor or windows everything else works.

My problems are:
airbag light (loss of ignition run only)
abs light
no power to blower motor
no power to windows (locks work)
no odometer
no speedometer
transmission shifting at 3000rpms (not normal for how it was before they tried to steal it)

I replaced:
column shifter
ignition switch
key and cylinder
speed sensor in tranny and diff

my truck is:
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
5.9l 360cc
automatic 2wd

Everything worked before they tried to steal it. If anyone can point me in any direction it would be a lot of help.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:10 AM
dodgeboy1979
All Star

due to the fact that this was for a break in and attempted theift, should this not be an insurance claim job? Just curious

Old 03-02-2011, 12:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,180 Likes on 2,933 Posts

Check wiring at ignition switch. I suspect your would-be thief cut some wires down there.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:28 PM
mr.mike

Insurence wouldn't cover it and all wires have been checked and re checked they smashed the ignition switch to the point where they could turn the gears to start it

Old 03-02-2011, 12:41 PM
nolazach
Veteran

Originally Posted by mr.mike
Insurence wouldn't cover it and all wires have been checked and re checked they smashed the ignition switch to the point where they could turn the gears to start it
Check the wiring diagrams in the factory service manual..
(https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-gen-rams.html)
Be very carefull around the airbag wires, in fact, since you are just checking for continuity, I would reccomend unplugging the battery.
You just need to find out what wire is not hooked up..

I'm going to link it here, you know how to check for continuity??

Sounds like something got pulled loose.

Good thing they didn't take it at least.

My ignition switch is broke, you can turn it with no key and start the truck, if I didn't have a starter kill alarm...

Thats next on my to-do list....

Last edited by nolazach; 03-02-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:45 PM
mr.mike

I've tested them all and tested the switch itself they all work fine. What I'm wondering is if the flag on the ignition switch could be in the wrong position not making contact with something and giving me that (loss of ignition run only) code. I ran the cluster self test and got codes 950 and 999. From what I understand 950 tells me that its not getting a signal that the abs is running and 999 is that an error was found. Does that mean there was an error found in the cluster or is it just pointing back at the 950 code?

Old 03-02-2011, 11:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Remove the ignition switch again, and test it independent of the key..... see what happens.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:48 PM
mr.mike

Tried it this morning still nothing. if anyone can think of any think I could have missed I'm considering rewiring the whole truck just don't have time or money for it. I've dumped five hundred at it so far. The truck is worth the money I just don't want to throw much more at an unknown problem so if anyone can think of any thing or has wire diagrams from ignition swich down please email me at michaellowers ( @ ) gmail.com also what does the two wire connector on the side of the ignition switch is for because it looks like its there for the light ring around the key cylinder. The reason I was wondering is the light ring doesn't light I have yet to test it I keep overlooking it.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Grab the 01 service manual from the faq section, (linked above). That has wiring diagrams that should very closely match your truck. See if there isn't some commonality in the systems that DON'T work.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:13 AM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

i would check all your fuses next to your dash, and all the relays under the hood in front of the brake booster.
they might have touched two wires together and blew something.

and man that sucks!

sorry for the thread jack
but that reminds me i need a alarm system!
anyone recommend a certain brand?