2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cooling fan/water pump "wobble"??

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 01:53 AM
Jeffress77
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling fan/water pump "wobble"??

2001 1500 5.2L
So I noticed over the past few weeks, there has been some noise under the hood that has gotten a little more noticeable as time goes on.
I thought that the exhaust manifold heat shield(s) may be vibrating and causing a noise that one would think may be caused by heat shields vibrating (if that makes sense). After listening closely, I think the vibrating sound I am hearing is coming from the engine cooling fan. With the engine off, I can manually "wobble" the base of the whole fan/water pump hub thing about 1/16". I think this wobble is what is causing the noise. Sometimes it does not make any noise or wobble at all, but I imagine if the belt starts to creep to the outside of the pulley for the fan/waterpump, it will wobble since the pressure is towards the outside.

Anyone else have this problem?

Last edited by Jeffress77; 04-19-2011 at 02:08 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:03 AM
RSDodgelover
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the bolts holding the fan to the water pump, if these are tight then it is probably the water pump itself. If they are loose and they come out it will RUIN your day by taking out many things under the hood like radiator, wiring etc. Good luck.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:08 AM
Unka-Boo

Almost ashamed to admit it, but yes, I do. I just bought the truck 3 weeks ago, was told by the seller that the water pump had been recently replaced, which it appeared to be.
Well, I was checking fluids the other day and something compelled me to grab the fan...I can rock the whole clutch and WP pulley a good 1/8"...sigh...Checked the clutch, it's as tight as it should be, belt is riding normal, no visible leaks and truck running @ normal temp....I'll keep my eye on it, but I don't like it.....

Old 04-19-2011, 02:22 PM
Jeffress77
Rookie

Guess I have to check out the clutch bolts

Old 04-19-2011, 03:02 PM
charlie1935
Record Breaker

When mine wobbled and made noise it was the water pump.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:56 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Yup, mine to. Should be no wobble at all. If nothing is loose, you need a new water pump. Its possible he put in a cheapo "remanufactured" pump from Autozone or some other junk parts place, which could have failed or be failing already.

I don't like remanned water pumps myself, I do new ones. For some things, remanned is OK, other things (this being one of them) you want new. Thats my way of thinking anyway.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:35 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

a wobbly shaft is usually first- and causes a break in the seal, and shortly following that a nice coating of coolant all over your engine bay..

it's a bad pump..

take this opportunity to go efan.. in addition to the other GREAT benefits of having one, another not often mentioned is INCREASED WATER PUMP LIFE.... because, the weight of the fan isn't putting stress on the shaft.. and the shaft is usually where problems on WP's start..

Old 12-06-2016, 08:43 PM
Spencer Rawlins

So most likely water pump from what I'm gathering. Does that explain the lack of power etc? I'm not over heating at all either.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Lack of power is likely from another source. How many miles on the truck? How's the plenum look? (see the sticky at the top of this forum for LOTS of info in that regard) Last time it had a tuneup? Still got the cat? How old are the O2 sensors?

Yep, I am just full o' questions.

Welcome to DF!

Old 12-06-2016, 10:32 PM
racefan41
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

might check your exhaust flange bolts for tightness. I'm not sure about that motor, but I've heard some of those manifolds and y-pipes don't have a gasket between them (rattling sound?). when those start to leak, they aren't always obvious and could cause you some power issues. stick your hand back there (cold engine of course) and feel for leaks.

Last edited by racefan41; 12-06-2016 at 10:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Cooling fan/water pump "wobble"??