2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission cooler line quick connect HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 08:16 PM
r0cxstar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission cooler line quick connect HELP

i replaced my lower transmission line and radiator and i cant get the line to connect back into the quick connect on the radiator. i have a 97 ram 1500 5.2l v8 4wd . is there a special tool i can get or something ? i just cant seem to push it in. please help.
thanks

Old 09-16-2011, 08:22 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The special tool is for disconnecting. All I can say is push harder and make sure you didn't damage it .

Old 09-16-2011, 08:25 PM
seabass202
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it should push in without the tool. make sure the plastic or metal clip,cage,connector, deal is behind the barb on the transmission line. it may need a little stretching to engage as well.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:28 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tap it lightly on the pavement/concrete a couple times.. sounds like the little spring set thingy may have crudded some and is stuck back..

Old 09-16-2011, 11:08 PM
Ram15002ndGen
Record Breaker

If it's not connecting then that just means you need a bigger hammer!

Old 11-03-2013, 12:19 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

I know this is an old thread... but I can't find many on this. My brother (sold the truck to him 6 months ago) just replaced the radiator today with a spectra 2291. Everything bolted up great, with the exception of the lower quick disconnect. I said the same thing that he just needed to make sure the connector was straight, and push a little harder. Well... I just drove 3 hours one way to see for myself, and it literally will not go on. I can clip the line on the old radiator no problem, and remove... over and over. The lower stems look identical (stock vs spectra), however when I run my hand across it I can feel that the new one is a hair wider at the entrance. I tapped the connector in place... but can't be 100% sure that it clipped correctly. Didn't really have a choice, and did what I had to do. No leaks. That said, I want to correct it properly in a few weeks when he will be around.

Looked in dodge parts manual for the bottom fitting / stem. I can see the stem in the picture, but... no part number. Just have numbers for radiators with fittings.

Looked on spectra's website for a replacement stem piece, but did not see anything. May have to give a call.

Has anyone ever found a part number for that piece by itself.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:19 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Don't those fittings just screw into the radiator with a flare fitting? Can you just swap the fittings between radiators?

Old 11-03-2013, 11:29 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Don't those fittings just screw into the radiator with a flare fitting? Can you just swap the fittings between radiators?
That's what I was thinking when I pulled the one out of the stocker. It was a flare connection. Was just hoping to get new parts because the fitting had a buildup of gunk on on exterior that bound the larger nut that I would want to clean it before I even attempted to swap. I didn't have anything to clean it with. While the thread pattern should be the same in theory, not having a clean connector I didn't even want to take the chance on top of not having a pass through 15/16 socket to get the new one out with the radiator installed. That's what you get for doing a parking lot install lol.

The thing that scares me is... I would have to cut the new radiator stem because I can't get that quick disconnect back off at this point. If I try to put the stock one back on, there is no going back. ... might have to borrow a radiator to experiment before I cut anything On the upside, at least I just need to replace the quick disconnect check valve delete line. Shouldn't be to bad of a fix if the flare fittings will swap.

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 11-03-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:11 PM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I ran into this very issue last night spent a couple hours trying to get them fully seated.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:55 PM
VEETEN
Captain
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but it was the only one that popped up in a desperate search late last night. LOL

anyway, same problem I could not get those things to push in all the way AT ALL..

Finally I pulled the spring clip out of the fitting and made sure the hose would push in far enough to the Radiator. It did, so I now focused on the spring clip. What a pain in the A$$ this thing by itself was to push on.
So I tried a different approach.
I put the spring clip on the pipe, used the disconnect tool to snap it over the barb. then took the quick connect fitting with the center bushing and o-ring still in place, and pushed it over the pipe and spring clip.
heard it click as the quick coupling snapped over the spring clip.
As far as I can tell when the clip is spreading apart to make it over the barb, the center ring deforms and digs into the pipe making it very hard to move.
I don't know if the OEM parts are like this or just aftermarket ones.
These were dorman hoses from rock auto.

anyway just posting this to help someone searching with the same problem.
Just make sure the whole spring clip has been snapped under the lip of the quick connect.

Spring clip only on pipe.
Name:  IMG_20150225_215234779_zpsbu29g8jj.jpg
Views: 11258
Size:  48.7 KB

Bushing and o-ring only in quick connect.

Name:  IMG_20150225_215255269_zpsho0twec2.jpg
Views: 10994
Size:  45.8 KB

Quick Reply: transmission cooler line quick connect HELP