2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

::WARNING:: For anyone wanting cheap ball joints, Don't do it..

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 10:20 AM
ramitt360
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ::WARNING:: For anyone wanting cheap ball joints, Don't do it..

This may be a given but there are some people out there such as me that don't always have a lot of money to spend. I recently ordered DLZ ball joints (ebay). I decided to do a little research on them before putting them on, (should have done it before ordering the damn things but that would have made too much sense). I came across this >> http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...t-buy-fpd-o-e/ That's some scary stuff and I will be returning these suckers asap. Just a heads up to the people out there trying to cheap out, Ball joints are NOT to gamble with.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:22 AM
billcart
Professional

That sucks really bad. Wouldn't want to imagine 4x4ing with those.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:51 PM
krichards6405
Professional

oh crap i bought those and put them on about 2yrs ago.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:40 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I keep telling people to stop putting price over quality, especially when it comes to critical components like brakes and suspension parts. That's why I tell people to go with XRF components.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:19 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

That is most likely caused by WAAAAAYYYYYYY over-torquing the nut. Secondly, if he didn't know what he was doing when he lifted his truck, there was probably a bind in his tie rod assembly and when he turned and was dropping down or coming up from the gutter, the two opposing forces put to much pressure on the outer end. I would rate that Tundra's breakage to the lift without a corresponding adjustment to the tie rod assembly. Could some tie rods take it? Sure, but they shouldn't have to. That is someone who wanted a lift and didn't know how it would affect his factory steering assembly.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:27 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
I keep telling people to stop putting price over quality, especially when it comes to critical components like brakes and suspension parts. That's why I tell people to go with XRF components.

I agree with VW. Saving money in the short term seldom results in the same outcome in the long run. And parts that effect safety is not the area to "buy for less." This became a major issue during a space shuttle mission a nuber of years ago with the cheapest vendor supplying critical components. This is why I always recommend buying the best parts you can afford - but highest price does not always identify best quality. A man's gotta do some homework!

Old 05-24-2012, 04:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Yeah, I am sure the company that sold them to him is going to suggest installation error, and therefore, not their fault...... He states his truck is lifted, nowhere do I see where he says just how much lift he has...... good possibility that his lift simply put the bj in a bind condition, and it didn't care for that.....

Old 05-24-2012, 06:50 PM
krichards6405
Professional

In my defense, the company has over 100k positive feedback ratings and a overall rating of 99.8 or something like that.

Old 05-24-2012, 06:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

You would have to be trying pretty friggin' hard to bust a ball joint on a solid axle truck. (not saying it can't be done though.....) You are MUCH less likely to have any issues than an IFS, lifted truck......

Old 05-24-2012, 07:17 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

ohhhhh ****. im running the same exact balljoints on my truck!!! but i have been wanting to replace them with moogs ever since i put them in. Started popping after only 5k miles.

Quick Reply: ::WARNING:: For anyone wanting cheap ball joints, Don't do it..