2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Project

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 07:17 PM
BFT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Project

I bought I used 2001 dodge ram 1500 quad cam 5.9l for $2100. I bought it knowing it did not go into overdrive. The original transmission was replaced with a used one from a junkyard by th PO. Well because it didn't go into over drive he bought another transmission with the intent of try it but sold the truck to me with the second transmission instead. It has never given a cel and drives and shifts fine except for no over drive. Now I do not know what the transmission came out of and am not able to determine if it is a 46re, 47re, ects ( I think there are some others it could be but I don't have that info currently) because I think they share the same physical outside and all could be bolted up. I did discover that the pre 2000 transmission used a different governor pressure sensor and so the wiring harness was different. I did some testing to see if the pcm was trying to engage the over drive and it wasn't so I tried manually shorting it to ground and YEAH it went into over drive. So I was sure this was my problem so I promptly ordered the correct sensors and transmission wiring harness and awaited my easy fix. Well I installed the new parts and now have a CEL for the governor pressure sensor. Well did some probing of the wiring harness and I have 5 volts on the governor pressure sensor constantly. Not right. So I think I have a bad governor pressure sensor. Well this could be because the new sensor mounts differently and requires a different bracket I didn't have. So I carefully glued it in place and dried it in the oven at 170 degrees for 15 minutes after 4 hours of air curing. I used krazy glue to adhere it and it seemed to do a great job. I was careful and dont think this process would have messed it up but it could have. I know the old sensor was good as it didn't throw a code and shifted great. I think I will splice the connector from the old harness into the new harness and reuse the old style sensor.Does this sound right? Sorry for the long post but I want the see if I'm on the right track before I drop the pan again. ATF-4 is expensive. Thanks ALL.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Still have the original trans? Grab the parts you need to do the job right from the valve body on that one. Put in the correct new parts, and you should be golden.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:28 PM
QuadCabLuv
Record Breaker

And catch that **** in a clean container and reuse it homes, dat shiat aint cheap.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:40 PM
BFT

No access to original transmission or it wouldn't be such a mystery.

Yeah I've been reusing the fluid but i spill some every time.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

PM gdstock on this website, he can tell you exactly what parts you will need to fix it right.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:16 PM
James Dorman
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BFT
I bought I used 2001 dodge ram 1500 quad cam 5.9l for $2100. I bought it knowing it did not go into overdrive. The original transmission was replaced with a used one from a junkyard by th PO. Well because it didn't go into over drive he bought another transmission with the intent of try it but sold the truck to me with the second transmission instead. It has never given a cel and drives and shifts fine except for no over drive. Now I do not know what the transmission came out of and am not able to determine if it is a 46re, 47re, ects ( I think there are some others it could be but I don't have that info currently) because I think they share the same physical outside and all could be bolted up. I did discover that the pre 2000 transmission used a different governor pressure sensor and so the wiring harness was different. I did some testing to see if the pcm was trying to engage the over drive and it wasn't so I tried manually shorting it to ground and YEAH it went into over drive. So I was sure this was my problem so I promptly ordered the correct sensors and transmission wiring harness and awaited my easy fix. Well I installed the new parts and now have a CEL for the governor pressure sensor. Well did some probing of the wiring harness and I have 5 volts on the governor pressure sensor constantly. Not right. So I think I have a bad governor pressure sensor. Well this could be because the new sensor mounts differently and requires a different bracket I didn't have. So I carefully glued it in place and dried it in the oven at 170 degrees for 15 minutes after 4 hours of air curing. I used krazy glue to adhere it and it seemed to do a great job. I was careful and dont think this process would have messed it up but it could have. I know the old sensor was good as it didn't throw a code and shifted great. I think I will splice the connector from the old harness into the new harness and reuse the old style sensor.Does this sound right? Sorry for the long post but I want the see if I'm on the right track before I drop the pan again. ATF-4 is expensive. Thanks ALL.
Sounds like mine has been doing exactly what yours is doing... but mines a 1996

Old 02-07-2013, 07:44 PM
BFT
Default update

Well I tried changing out the connector and using the old sensor. NO more CEL. but no overdrive either. I checked the voltages for the governor pressure sensor, trans temp, tcc solenoid, overdrive solenoid, tps all are just what I would expect. I'm really desperate for s solution. it has the ability just on the desire to shift into overdrive or lock the torque converter.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Got a scanner? Go for a drive, and see if the PCM is commanding TCC lockup, and O/D shift.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:33 PM
BFT

no scanner but I can manually engage the overdrive by pulling down the control wire. The pcm never pulls the line low so its not trying but if it did it would engage.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:59 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you post up photos? Take pic of underside of VB on each and photos of connector on side of tranny with plug connected and disconnected.

Where are you located?

Quick Reply: Transmission Project