2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what else to do

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 08:20 AM
M&O Performance
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what else to do

I have a 2001 2500 with the v8 360 in it. Well in a few weeks here I'm going to be doing the plenum pan upgrade. I have no questions about that at all. Just wondering what else cant hurt to be done aslong as I'm in there with the Intake off. So far I got dist cap, rotor, wires, valve cover gaskets, injectors "4hole bosch style". Just wondering if I'm missing anything. And anything o can do for somemore pow out of her would be great to. It tows quite.often

Old 06-27-2014, 09:53 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Check and/or replace all the vacuum lines if the show signs of wear/cracking etc. You'll have access to the ones going down the backside of the engine over the bellhousing to tranny. Be very gentle with the vac line that comes out of the firewall from the HVAC (next to PCM). That one goes all the way through.

Find the ground wires and reseat them. There is 1 or 2 up on the firewall. 1 next to PCM and 1 under the flashing over driver side cylinders if I remember correctly.

A good recommendation due to the intake being off, which requires the alt and a/c with the big bracket off, is to tackle the water pump and timing chain.

Water pump can be basic NAPA replacement, but timing chain can be changed to a double chain from the factory single. The cost of this effort would be roughly $100 in parts.

New coolant hoses and thermostat. Perhaps also pull radiator or flush it while staying in truck.

So there are some ideas for you.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:45 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Clean your throttle body really well! Especially the iac. Just be careful with the plunger.

You could do the kegger mod if you wanted. I woudnt personally.

Hell, you could even bore the top part of your throttle body out to a 50mm. Bottom is already 50.

But I would do everything WN said

Old 06-29-2014, 11:46 PM
thzpcs
Amateur

Originally Posted by Wh1t3NuKle
Check and/or replace all the vacuum lines if the show signs of wear/cracking etc. You'll have access to the ones going down the backside of the engine over the bellhousing to tranny. Be very gentle with the vac line that comes out of the firewall from the HVAC (next to PCM). That one goes all the way through.

Find the ground wires and reseat them. There is 1 or 2 up on the firewall. 1 next to PCM and 1 under the flashing over driver side cylinders if I remember correctly.

A good recommendation due to the intake being off, which requires the alt and a/c with the big bracket off, is to tackle the water pump and timing chain.

Water pump can be basic NAPA replacement, but timing chain can be changed to a double chain from the factory single. The cost of this effort would be roughly $100 in parts.

New coolant hoses and thermostat. Perhaps also pull radiator or flush it while staying in truck.

So there are some ideas for you.
You pretty much covered everything here, good work

Old 06-30-2014, 12:00 AM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cs...iew/make/dodge

If you want to add a little more power, the roller rockers will help a little. There not cheap, but ive heard its worth it.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:15 PM
M&O Performance
Amateur

Thanks! You guys are great. I'm going to order the hughs intake and take the keg out. Thats a good 600 but no more plenum pan! Yeah vaccums are a must. Ive broken a few line accidently here and there and rigged them up temporarily. how hard is the timing chain to
tackle?

Old 07-02-2014, 12:36 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 301 Likes on 284 Posts

Timing chain is not hard to do, just time consuming. Be sure to get a double roller timing chain and gear set. For added insurance, I installed a timing chain tensioner, too (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-5007709/overview/). Also, plan on changing out the water pump while you are in there, in addition to checking/replacing the serpentine belt, thermostat and radiator hoses (bypass, upper and lower). Lastly, since you must remove your radiator to do the job, make sure its in good shape and not leaking anywhere. If it is, consider replacing it with an all-aluminum unit, as the OEM plastic side tank units tend to split and leak over time. For more info, check out this thread:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-radiator.html

Last edited by AtomicDog; 07-02-2014 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:50 AM
RDuck
Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, if your that far into it with the timing set off and you want a puller, swap your cam out for a good torque cam.
Talk with a knowledgeable shop you can trust and tell them what your plans are. They should be able to point you in the right direction for a cam.
Like phone Edelbrock. For example. Tell them your gearing, tire size, engine, engine mods, etc and they'll tell you the best cam for your bang.
Really, once the timing set and intake is off, cams right there saying "GRAB ME".

Old 07-06-2014, 09:41 AM
M&O Performance
Amateur

Originally Posted by RDuck
Man, if your that far into it with the timing set off and you want a puller, swap your cam out for a good torque cam.
Talk with a knowledgeable shop you can trust and tell them what your plans are. They should be able to point you in the right direction for a cam.
Like phone Edelbrock. For example. Tell them your gearing, tire size, engine, engine mods, etc and they'll tell you the best cam for your bang.
Really, once the timing set and intake is off, cams right there saying "GRAB ME".

Well thats a possibility I guess..

Old 07-13-2014, 03:01 PM
M&O Performance
Amateur

well heres what my plans are as of now.

-Airgap intake from hughes engines... Part # 5409
-timing chain gears and chain, Also from hughes... Part # 6440
" a new tensioner also?"
- New Cap and Rotor, spark plugs, wires, ignition coil, just regular from parts stores.
-Fuel pump, also just parts store.
-water pump
- 180 thermostat

thats what im for sure ordering here soon..

Now for a few questions, someone mentioned the roller rockers at a 1.7 ratio.. obviously that's a little higher ratio then stock but are they worth the 400? and i dont think i will be able to do a cam unfortunately.. not enough time to mess with the springs and heads that much.. -Possibly new injectors, the 4 hole bosch style.