2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

95 1500 5.9 Broken Spark Plug advise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 08:54 PM
tsvallette
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 1500 5.9 Broken Spark Plug advise?

Hello my first post and here's the problem. I just got a 95 Ram 1500 5.9 EXT 4x4. Yesterday started my tuneup. She got an oil change and a new air filter. Today I decided to install new plugs. I tried to get a bite on the plug, first cylinder to the left side (if you look at the engine) and plug wont do down far enough to grab it. There must be rust and or what not down there so I will come back to it later. Moved on the next one and that one came out with no issues moving on. Now this one is being a pain and this is where I am stuck. I could tell that the socket wasn't all the way down because it was slightly grabbing then it pops off. So I hit the socket down so it would grab no issues there. Well long story short the plug broke. Now I am contemplating on if I should take it to a local shop so they do the removal and the rest of the spark plugs or if I should try and complete the process myself. I usually do all my own auto work but I have never dealt with spark plugs so stuck. Any advise on how or what should I use to get the plug out?

Old 09-21-2014, 09:06 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 301 Likes on 284 Posts

First, I'd go ahead and see if you can remove and replace the other 7 spark plugs. Might want to soak each one with some PB Blaster before trying to get them out. Also, when removing the plugs, also seriously consider removing the metal spark plug tubes. They allow debris to collect around the plugs, causing them to rust and seize up in the head. A good pair of pliers will remove the spark plug tubes by grabbing and rocking them until they pop out.

If you can get the other 7 plugs removed and replaced, take a photo of what the broken plug looks like, so that we can see what you are working with.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Yeah, pull the heat shields, they are more of a pain then they are worth, and it lets you see what ya got.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:26 PM
JSTMoto
Veteran

I've got a blow gun that has an extended tube that I use to blow out the shields really well before pulling any of the plugs. Give it a shot for the rest of the plugs and see if you get crud out of there.

Old 09-21-2014, 10:33 PM
tsvallette

I'll do the others tomorrow, it just pissed me off that it broke. Ill be getting some PB Blaster tomorrow morning and let the other soak for 6 hours. I have never broke a plug so this is my first one and next I'll have all the tools to get more than one out. Will the shield pull out with the plugs still in? Here is a pic of the two. They're very rusty and I'm shocked that the one I did get out didnt brake.

Attached Thumbnails 95 1500 5.9 Broken Spark Plug advise?-imag0225.jpg  
Old 09-21-2014, 10:39 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

use pb blaster. liberally. and work on them when the engine is hot/warm. things come out easier.

kinda hard to do know though.... these v8s will run on 7 cylinders and you can barely tell at idle. I know because i always forget to put that last plug wire back on dangit.. lol

Old 09-21-2014, 10:43 PM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its interesting that you have two different kinds of plugs in there, champion and autolite. Im just wondering how your going to get that broken plug out, considering were it broke.

Old 09-22-2014, 01:56 AM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 301 Likes on 284 Posts

Thanks for posting a photo of the broken plug. As has been mentioned, see if you can get the other 7 swapped out successfully. As for the badly broken plug, you will need an extractor to get that out, after its been liberally doused with PB Blaster. Sears sells some fluted style impact grade socket extractors that should do the job of pulling the broken plug out, once you get the spark plug tube/heat shield out of the way.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:42 AM
tsvallette

Thanks for the replys and help. I seen someone on here that used an easy out but when I did a Google search I came across a YouTube video of a guy that used an extractor. The thing I saw that I didn't like about the extractor was, it pulled out the plug stripping the threads off. Will I need to rethread the plug hole after I use an extractor? I'll try an easyout first then if no go, I'll use an extractor. I just hope my near by town has these tools.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Extractor *should* just unthread what's left in there. As stated, liberal use of chems to get things to loosen up would be a very good idea.

Before installing the new plug, I would pull the fuel pump, and asd relays, and crank the engine over a couple times, to blow the crap out of the cylinder.......

Quick Reply: 95 1500 5.9 Broken Spark Plug advise?