2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New guy here need help with running problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 09:10 PM
Largefarva
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy here need help with running problem

Hey guys, new to the forum, came across it on a search.
Anyways I'm having a problem with my '95 1500, has a 5.2, auto, RWD. It ran great till a couple months ago, I parked it on the street, came back a week later (temps had dropped, and it had snowed) and it would barely run. It will run if you give it full throttle but it will never get past 2000rpm, and usually stays at 1100 ish, at this point it is very loud. But any ideas? Seems like something is holding it back, very weird. Read codes with the key and it came back with 37.
Oh, forgot to mention, when I parked it I pulled a 10a fuse from the fuse box on the end of the dash, it was labeled "engine", I did this to disable it from being stolen, I'm sure it has nothing to do with it but maybe? I tried starting it with it out and got nothing, put it and and it runs but runs very bad.

Last edited by Largefarva; 02-03-2015 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

37 is a TCC code..... (or trans temp sensor, you would have to look and see if you actually HAVE the temp sensor though.)

I don't think your problem is related. Sounds like blown plenum developed into a clogged cat. You can try pulling the O2 sensor right out of the exhaust piping, and see if it runs any better. if it does, time to address the cat.

Welcome to DF!

Old 02-03-2015, 09:36 PM
issakar
Captain

did it snow enough for the plows to be out? If so, did they plow the truck in at all?

Old 02-03-2015, 11:08 PM
Largefarva
Professional

Thanks,could be intake I guess but I thought I should be able to keep it running above 2k RPM at full throttle. Cat rattles, has been doing so for years, I dropped on flange and there was no change.....
Yes it was plowed in.

Old 02-03-2015, 11:21 PM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by Largefarva
Thanks,could be intake I guess but I thought I should be able to keep it running above 2k RPM at full throttle. Cat rattles, has been doing so for years, I dropped on flange and there was no change.....
Yes it was plowed in.
Here's my thought pattern:

Ran well enough before parked.
Was parked.
Snow fall/plows.
Truck plowed in.
Runs like ***** now.

The symptoms sound kinda like a clogged exhaust. I wonder if snow was pushed up into it.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:20 AM
Largefarva
Professional

Ya, I thought the same, but the tailpipe is facing the curb, and I did drop the exhaust at the manifold and there was no change. I was thinking something electrical, or maybe a jumped timing chain, has 190k.
Problem is, it's outside in the snow, so it's kinda hard to diagnose without freezing, lol.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:27 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

There was a recall on the cats for early year rams. They break up and rattle in the case. Does it sound like it is running on a 8 cylinders or is it missing? Could be moisture in the cap. ??? Fuel pump starting to go. ???

Old 02-04-2015, 08:02 PM
Largefarva
Professional

I thought it may be moisture in the cap, but I have 25kv at the plug wire, so it's a little low but more than enough to run right.
It sounds like it hitting on 8, but it's so strange the way it runs....last night I had it at 1000rpm at FULL THROTTLE for probably 10 minutes, you could hear it pulling air like crazy but it wouldn't rev up. I changed the plugs last night because the old ones wre soaked in fuel.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Soaked in fuel? Have a look at the coolant temp sensor to the drivers side of the thermostat housing. Is it plugged in good?

Old 02-04-2015, 10:53 PM
Largefarva
Professional

I looked for it but didn't see one there, there's a small single wire connector on the passenger side, it was plugged in, I unplugged it and there was no change.

Quick Reply: New guy here need help with running problem