2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

When od is off...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 07:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

That's just strange.

Don't suppose you have a scanner you could plug in, and see what PCM things pressures are doing?

Ooops, nevermind. 95.... PCM doesn't have a clue.

Might be time to drop the pan, (filter and fluid change?) and see if anything seems awry in there.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:30 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope might can get one.

Old 03-20-2015, 07:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by cutthroatxxx
Nope might can get one.
Scanner won't help, you don't have the electronic governor.

I am wondering, if there is a linkage, or some such, that is not quite in the right place inside the trans, so some particular valve isn't opening when it should......

If you drive a steady speed, when you think it *should* have shifted, if you wiggle the shift lever, will it?

Old 03-20-2015, 08:03 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

No I've try everything I just can't find 3rd & I've had to of try this 20-30 Times now.I called a bunch of Trans shops today & most of me say if it works fine in on to not worry about it, but it could be a sign 9th an underlying issue.&We are dealing with a few issues right now so we're living dent&ding dent&ding@ the moment so after making it through winter by the skin of out teeth&What happened to all of our vehicles over the past 8 month's It's hard not 2 freak out ya know? I have a fella wants to give me a 2008 4 door long bad Cummins 4th for 6 grand&some work .I just have to knock some jobs out that I have in the shop I'll get a couple more jobs in to get the 6 grand, I don't want to end up having to sell any more of my bikes off to fix anything on this truck. I already spent the money for my lift and tires oh no my goodies fixing the 4 wheel drive new transportation posi like all that stuff anyway I'm ranting

Old 03-21-2015, 02:32 AM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

About to take it out for another test run

Old 03-21-2015, 04:28 AM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

OK update....So I've noticed ever since I bought this truck the linkage felt kinda off / loose. Just came in from a drive & if I have shifter in park I can move it to the right so while In park I can move shifter to to fill up R with the orange indicator, it doesn't go into R just indicated is&will do it on every gear to the right of the one that I am in.But now here is the issue I cannot get it to go into 1st manually so I'm not sure if I'm taking off in 2nd or what, But It feels rights in overdrive still. So now I'm worried if the Trans is screwy or just the linkage? When I get to the 1st position that's when I usually have to move to to the right but it runs out of pull basically I CA Get That Loose Spot That I have when I'm in the other gears like when I'm filling up 2nd with the indicator but in drive..there's no room left in the colum to go over to get it to pop into 1st it feels. WHAT NOW? This is probably confusing&poorly written sorry.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:06 AM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

OK so I couldn't let it go.I ran out jumped in the mud looked @ linkage now where the linkage that comes off the shifter in the cab connects@ the linkage that goes to the Trans there is quite a large retainer of sorts about the size of a quarter that appears to hold shifter linkage in place.Well it is out.Also the what I belive is the TV cable linkage it was pointed to the front of the truck&there a black piece coming out of the top with a hole In it like it should have a spring in there or cable etc .
Well it was so lose that when I touched it, the whole linkage came off.I then was able to get it back on but with the part with said cable /spring whole now faces rear of truck.Slack is no longer in the shifter so I can shift down to 1st manually. Stayed where I was only moved a few feet as I didn't want to take it out@ 4am without properly tightening
Everything up & figuring out what that piece is above the TV spring with nothing connected to it.
Name:  IMG_20150321_045730.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  169.1 KB
I'm not sure if this bracket with spring is in correct position.Maybe its upside down? All of the pics I find look different.I know this thread is all a.d.d. sorry

Last edited by cutthroatxxx; 03-21-2015 at 06:20 AM.
Old 03-21-2015, 10:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

I do believe there are pics, and adjustment procedures in the service manual, for both the shift linkage, and the TV cable. (the tv cable does come around the trans, and then forward to connect.)

Old 03-21-2015, 10:20 AM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

Yeah I found the procedure.Looks different that bracket my spring goes to that is

Old 03-23-2015, 11:56 PM
tweeker909
Professional

got pictures of the fix to help the forum.lol

Quick Reply: When od is off...