2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1997 Ram Transfer Case Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 08:20 AM
firedawg50
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Ram Transfer Case Noise

Hi I just purchase a 1997 Ram 1500, knowing full well, there was an issue with the 4WD. The seller told me it "grinded" going into 4WD so he didn't mess with it. I test drove it for a half hour, and seemed good. Now I hear a rattle and it appears to be coming from the transfer case, only when moving at low speeds. For all I know the rattle could have been there all along, I only noticed it while at a drive through and it was echoing off the building. I intended on having the 4WD issue fixed, etc over the course of the summer, but this rattle concerns me. I have a friend that works at a reputable salvage yard, and can get a transfer case for about 100.00 or so. What are your thoughts...should I buy a rebuild kit and attempt to rebuild it, or should I buy one from a salvage yard and do that. I don't have bearing presses, etc for the rebuild, so that may be difficult. Also Any idea what may be causing that Rattle noise? The truck is really clean outside of that, so I would like to get it fixed ASAP. Thanks!

Old 03-31-2015, 08:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Are you sure it's the t-case? In 2wd, it really isn't doing much. Check u-joints, and such first, before you condemn it. If it IS bad, and you can get a replacement for a 100 bucks, go for it. You can always rebuild the spare when time/money permits.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:00 AM
firedawg50

Yeah I know it sounds odd. The only way to pin point it is to climb under while it is running in gear. We did that, and it sounds like it is coming out of the transfer case and the sound is amplified all the way down the driveshaft. The u-Joints feel good. I was thinking with the grinding of the 4WD that it is probably in the transfer case like it sounds. It just sounds like something is broken off or loose in there and as something is spinning its going around and around..

Old 03-31-2015, 01:27 PM
firedawg50

Its funny if I climb under it and spin the front driveshaft I can hear it plain as day coming from the transfer case. I may pull the front driveshaft for now until I can get the transfer case fixed.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Front drive shaft shouldn't be turning in 2wd......

Old 04-01-2015, 07:55 AM
firedawg50

You had me questioning that for a second. I have 3, 4wd vehicles here, all 3 front driveshafts spin free with the front wheels, but lock up when 4wd is engaged...

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Front drive shaft shouldn't be turning in 2wd......

Old 04-01-2015, 08:13 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

These things are simple to rebuild. I tore into mine to replace the front input shaft for my trans swap. I had to go all the way in. Just be sure to get the biggest tube of black rtv you can find.

Old 04-01-2015, 08:15 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

RTV comes in the tubes big enough to fit into caulk guns........

Old 04-01-2015, 08:30 AM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's the one Right there.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:45 PM
Mo-par-da-btr

Originally Posted by firedawg50
Yeah I know it sounds odd. The only way to pin point it is to climb under while it is running in gear. We did that, and it sounds like it is coming out of the transfer case and the sound is amplified all the way down the driveshaft. The u-Joints feel good. I was thinking with the grinding of the 4WD that it is probably in the transfer case like it sounds. It just sounds like something is broken off or loose in there and as something is spinning its going around and around..
I have the same problem, it has to be where the transfer case disengages from the front drive shaft, no telling how complicating it is to fix. Although I seen a video on someone fixing the rear, now if the front is similar to the rear, it shouldn’t be that hard!

Quick Reply: 1997 Ram Transfer Case Noise