2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Will my axles really get destroyed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 09:17 PM
tianniccari
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will my axles really get destroyed?

Hey guys I have a 2001 Ram 1500 Sport Off Road edition. I previously had a post about 4" coil spacers and AAL and was talked out of it which is probably for the better. I will be doing a 3" PA BL as well as possibly (POSSIBLY) 2" coil spacers, and AAL. I currently have a 5" RC suspension lift. I would like to run 38-40's if possible. I dont do any off roading and this is my daily driver (for now but will be getting a work truck soon.) My question is if im doing street only driving would I be able to run the 38-40's without issues on my 1/2 ton axles or do I NEED to upgrade?

Old 04-14-2015, 10:06 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just do it and report back. lol

You really haven't searched around much. In any event at least you say it's a street pounder, which doesn't actually mean it's all gentle. It's all dependent on how you drive it.

To put in perspective a bit...in order to avoid getting up to speed at the rate of 5 mph, the axles need to be regeared to at least 5.13 for those size tire range. That's also to avert damage to the transmission, which presuming you have an automatic.

The 5" lift plus other stuff you mention can fit it with likelihood to need some trimming on fenders.

oh...Chrysler 9.25" gear ratio tops out at 4.88.....if you can find them.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:33 PM
Ram Driver
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn`t matter what size tires you run, but if you don`t have the right gearing for them, you are going know were fast, and you can and will do major damage to other parts if you try. I would recommend that you do a lot more searching and reading, so you can learn what needs to be done and why.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:41 PM
tianniccari
Rookie

darn. I was trying to find a way to run bigger tires without costing an arm and a leg. Looks like thats not happening!

Old 04-15-2015, 08:33 PM
Largefarva
Professional

You can run bigger tires, but honestly 40s are damn big! If you drive easy and don't care how fast the truck is you probably won't have any problems, but hard driving, towing, etc....will wear out parts pretty quickly.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:34 PM
tianniccari
Rookie

I think I'm gonna go with the 38's or at most 39's. this will be my daily driver for about 4 more months till I get my work truck for everyday driving. I wouldn't mind upgrading my gears to like a 5.13 or a little higher, I just can't figure out how to know which ones I would need/where to get them. if anybody has any recommendations it would be much appreciated. I've been looking all over but I'm still very new to this so I'm still kinda clueless

Old 04-15-2015, 09:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Biggest you can go on the half-ton axles is 4.88. Finding the 4.88 for the rear is getting to be rather difficult.... Randy's Ring and Pinion *might* sell them... but, don't hold your breath.

But, in all reality, for 39" tires, 4.56 will have your engine running slightly faster for a given road speed. (about 230 RPM higher in 3rd gear @65mph.)

And, all THAT said..... try not to act surprised when NOTHING in your front suspension/steering lasts very long. Those big tires are HEAVY, and the D44 just wasn't designed to deal with that kind of weight on a big heavy truck. (on a jeep is a different story, several thousand pounds lighter.....)

Old 04-16-2015, 10:23 AM
tianniccari
Rookie

I had my truck in the shop previously and the mechanic said my axle seals were shot in the front so they would need to be done. He said in order to do that he has to open up the differential and whatever else. I figured when getting the axle seal done I could also try getting the gears done. I will probably only go to the 4.88 (If I can find it) for now, so I don't have to swap for a Dana 60. Obviously I would need the ring and pinion as well as the axle seals. What else should be replaced if i'm going to have it all opened up? I will have to look around for a little while to find the front and rear parts as well as finding a mechanic who can do that as well and do it right.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:25 AM
tianniccari
Rookie

Any thoughts on this for the front end? Price wise, will it work, etc?

http://www.offroadpowerproducts.com/...FUE8gQodbWUATA

Old 04-16-2015, 10:29 AM
tianniccari
Rookie

Here is another one that is apparently front and rear

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Drivetrain-J...FWwV7AodFTgAOA

Although they all say jeep? Does that not matter because its still the same axle or does it make a difference

Quick Reply: Will my axles really get destroyed?