2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

wheel shakes bad

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 05:09 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel shakes bad

Ok so I have a bad shake when driving down the road.I went to jack it up&the wheel has play in it if I try to wiggle left to right,&if I try 2 spin the tire from left to right it makes noise .
The tire also seems to have a bubble.Could that came from the wheel being loose? Also when I pull the wheel what should I look 4? A buddy said it's probably because he didn't use an impact when he put the tire back on after he did the brakes a couple months ago because with these wheels an impact has to be used is that true?

Old 06-12-2015, 05:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

They need to be torqued to the proper spec, an impact wrench is generally much higher torque, and tends to distort things...... (150 ft/lbs for your truck, and even my wimpy impact does 225.....)

Bubble on the tire will give you a shake. So will bad wheel bearings, and loose steering parts. Generally, bubbles on tires is from belt separation, which is usually from an impact with something.... even a pothole.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:41 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

I just took the wheel off and I had to beat it with a hammer to get it off. and when I grab the studs I can rock it back and forth like from the rear bumper to the front bumper there's a loose shake or a rattle and whatever you would want to call it. is that the wheel bearing?

Old 06-12-2015, 09:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Need to look and see what's moving, that isn't supposed to.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:05 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Need to look and see what's moving, that isn't supposed to.
Well when I grab the studs &move it back&fourth its loose like its the wheel bearings. ..all the stores say they only sell the whole hub assembly not the bearings & seal itself

Old 06-13-2015, 02:40 AM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

Heres a video hopefully it plays...when I tryd the screen was black for a few seconds then played.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

That's kinda strange, the rotor is staked to the back of the hub by the lug bolts. Yours seems sloppy on there. Not supposed to do that.....

Old 06-15-2015, 02:21 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really hard to tell from that video and your description, but the yoke looked pretty rusty on that axle shaft, which usually means the u-joint is shot. Is there any play between the inner and outer shafts at that joint?

That would cause a clank as you're rolling slowly.

The bubble in the tire, is that on the sidewall or the tread? If on the tread, it'll definitely make the wheel shake.

And if there's play in the bearing, the ball joints, or the tie rod ends, it can cause other shaking.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:36 AM
cutthroatxxx
All Star

Thanks, the bubble is on the top of the tread about like if u were 2 set your hand ontop above the sidewall.I wrote another post I put some 22 37s on there & didn't tighten down enough I guess but that side that tire flew off.Gonna try 2 tighten hub nut if theres still play but on the 300 hub...ouch!

Old 06-15-2015, 07:17 AM
Twistedtrax

ok, did that wheel come loose? Try putting 2 lugnuts on without the wheel, tighten them again and try to turn it and see what it sound like. I'm thinking the rotor is only tight when the lugnuts are torqued, and that will explain the noise and movement in the video. Also if you have driven with that whells lugnuts loose, you could have made the holes in the rotor larger and possibly stressed the heads of the lugnuts everytime you hit the breaks. I would inspect the rotor and lugnuts, plus take a look at your wheel bearing while doing all that. And the rust power on the ujoint says replace it or break it

Quick Reply: wheel shakes bad