2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

lost a wheel...Again!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 03:33 AM
cutthroatxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lost a wheel...Again!

Idk wtf is going on but I made a post last week I thought I had a bad hub, turned out the stud holes on the rotor were oblong from the tire having a broken belt&the lug nuts loosened up on them.Well I lost a wheel b4 I figured that out.Today I lost a wheel today luckily I was in a parking lot hoing really slow the truck only skidded about 5-10ft the bottom of the new rotor has a small flat spot I figure thats ok 4 now.But Im trying 2 figure why I lost the wheel.Now here's my theory & feel free to tell me I'm an idiot for this.But I haven't been driving it because Im waiting on some parts but today I had to&it was only 13 miles besides that its just been to store a few miles away on same road .
Well I had 28 lug nuts so I put 7 in each wheel.All of the lugs on said tire which ia drivers front were pulled together with 8 lugs...but then had to run the 7 after we set em.Well Im thinking I hit a bump or something & the lug pushed in causing said wheel to lock up the studs were bent pretty good.But on the other hand I found 4 of the lug nuts & they wernet stripped out &showed no sign of damage.They were supposedly torqued down to spec.I did find a spare lug nut on my cowl which leads me to wonder did the mechanic leave that 1 off leaving me to drive with only 6 lug nuts & would 6 cause me to loose it? Im put a new studs in tomorrow and taking the truck to a tire shop and they have in them look over everything.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:09 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Aluminum or steel wheels?

Old 06-23-2015, 02:10 PM
Wildman4x4nut
Record Breaker
Received 149 Likes on 114 Posts

Ok first off it would really help if you put a space after your period to know it is the end of a sentence.

Now as to what is wrong, I had a rim that no matter what I did the rim would loosen up all the time. I never did figure out the why I just finally stopped using that rim. Is it the same wheel that came lose before? If it is then you have narrowed it down some. The force of a loose wheel is enough to strip the studs or lug nuts. Only having 6 out of the 8 lugs is more than enough to hold a wheel on. I have been missing half my lug nuts before and not had any problems so that isn't it.

I would look for bent rims, tires that aren't balanced, lose wheel bearings anything that would allow the wheel to wobble. Pictures would help.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:15 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check that your lug nuts are wide enough go get a good grip on the wheel

Old 06-23-2015, 03:36 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmmm, what they all said.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:10 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If ya put hub-centric wheels on without the wheel centers being snug against the hub (or spacer), ya bust studs with shearing force. If ya put stud-centric wheels on with the wrong lug nuts, ya wallow out the stud holes and bend/break the studs with bending force. If ya don't do either, wheels don't usually break off from just normal duty. Either way, you want the correct wheels for the application because the engineers determined whether it's hub or stud centering that's used.

Food fer thot, perhaps?

Old 06-23-2015, 04:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
If ya put hub-centric wheels on without the wheel centers being snug against the hub (or spacer), ya bust studs with shearing force. If ya put stud-centric wheels on with the wrong lug nuts, ya wallow out the stud holes and bend/break the studs with bending force. If ya don't do either, wheels don't usually break off from just normal duty. Either way, you want the correct wheels for the application because the engineers determined whether it's hub or stud centering that's used.

Food fer thot, perhaps?
What if my thoughts aren't hungry?

Old 06-23-2015, 05:15 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
What if my thoughts aren't hungry?
Force feed 'em!

Old 06-23-2015, 05:34 PM
cutthroatxxx
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well there aluminuim, I will snap a picture, they appear yo be fine they were on a dmax b4

Old 06-23-2015, 06:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by cutthroatxxx
Well there aluminuim, I will snap a picture, they appear yo be fine they were on a dmax b4
You need to retorque the lugnuts on aluminum wheels a few days after you install them. Otherwise, the lugnuts work loose, and the wheel falls off.....

Quick Reply: lost a wheel...Again!