2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diesel Conversion 1997 2500

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 12:05 AM
jake1095
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blackskyracing
Just made a benefit truck for a friend's brother a while back out of 5 differnt parts trucks of various years 97-01... Don't try to mix 94-97 and 98-01/02 cab wiring. Total headache unless you have crank windows and manual mirrors.

HeyYou is right on point, except for one thing. The 96-97 diesel PCM will run your 97 gas dash perfectly fine. We swap gas dashes into 12 valve trucks all the time because the diesel dash only reads to 4,000 rpm and more and more trucks are running 5,000+ rpm governor spring kits.

Trans is diesel/V10 specific bolt pattern. If you're piecing a truck together you can get a V10 trans, just make sure you buy a new diesel torque converter (which would be a good idea to grab at least a billet single disc anyways). Your transfer case would work, the output shafts are the same 23 spline on the 47RE vs the 46RE. Only the manuals and newer 6 speed autos run the bigger 29 spline output shaft. However, I would highly recommend confirming that your truck has the NP241DLD. If it has the NP231 I would look for the 241DLD for simplicity in swapping since your current shafts and yokes will fit. Though if it has the 231 I would also suspect that it has the lighter axles, if that's the case I wouldn't get very carried away with adding much power to your Cummins or you'll find your weak points in a hurry.
Your exactly right man! Ive been trying to research those exact things you mentioned cause i had figured even a smaller Cummins would have alot of output, to much for somthing that a normal gas truck was originally not built for.

Now that i have new knowledge to work with i will definatley be taking your info into my research. My axel is a Dana 60, so far into the little infancy of my research (more knowledge will soon be obtained) it should be able to take it as long as i dont overpower it as you had advised but i will definatley have to do more reaserching and knowledge building before i dive in.

I had been pondering about installing an S chip in the system (for controll on my power output and milage) as well but so far my knowledge in how well that would work is still very little.

Thanks for the information! I will definatley be using this to help me on this! I will probly drop a new V8 360 in it before i even do the conversion (my V8 in it at the moment is still the original engine with 177, 210 miles on it) so before i dive into diesel conversion i will be using my time to get the full 100% details on cost and what is needed to do this, thank you for the help!

Old 07-28-2015, 01:18 PM
blackskyracing
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may very well be ok if you have the dana 60 out back I'm fairly certain that means you have a 8800# GVW truck with the dana 60 up front as well (the lighter 7200 GVW has a Dana 44 hybrid that just has 8 bolt hubs on it). The 60 out back will take a pretty decent beating, would hold anything a fairly stock 47RE will. Billet single disc and a decent VB or shift kit will hold 300-350rwhp relatively reliably and that happens to be about the max you can squeeze out of the stock turbo and injectors.

You might have to enlighten me on this s chip you speak of. Up until recently I would have immediately said there's no such thing as a chip for the 12 valve. But recent advents have produced a couple gadgets for them that kind of acts like a chip. What I have seen of them good tuning and a little ingenuity can accomplish the same thing for $30.

Old 07-28-2015, 01:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,178 Likes on 2,931 Posts

Didn't think there was ANYTHING electronic running the 12valve? Aside from the starter, and grid heater....... don't see how a chip could improve either of those.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:26 PM
blackskyracing
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Didn't think there was ANYTHING electronic running the 12valve? Aside from the starter, and grid heater....... don't see how a chip could improve either of those.
There isn't they're adding electronically controlled linear actuators to the AFC to control the amount of rack travel and therefore the overall amount of fuel that's able to be injected.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

There isn't they're adding electronically controlled linear actuators to the AFC to control the amount of rack travel and therefore the overall amount of fuel that's able to be injected.
Which is still going to be limited by the injector size.....

Think there will be any benefit to such a system?

Old 07-28-2015, 02:40 PM
blackskyracing
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Which is still going to be limited by the injector size.....

Think there will be any benefit to such a system?
The idea was to help guys with bigger injectors run clean. Ultimately good AFC tuning does that in the first place. If you want adjustable power levels a simple air regulator to regulate boost reference to the AFC can accomplish that too for a small fraction of the money

Old 07-28-2015, 02:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The idea was to help guys with bigger injectors run clean. Ultimately good AFC tuning does that in the first place. If you want adjustable power levels a simple air regulator to regulate boost reference to the AFC can accomplish that too for a small fraction of the money
Ok, I suppose that makes some sense. Diesel isn't precisely my forte'.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:54 PM
jake1095

You may very well be ok if you have the dana 60 out back I'm fairly certain that means you have a 8800# GVW truck with the dana 60 up front as well (the lighter 7200 GVW has a Dana 44 hybrid that just has 8 bolt hubs on it). The 60 out back will take a pretty decent beating, would hold anything a fairly stock 47RE will. Billet single disc and a decent VB or shift kit will hold 300-350rwhp relatively reliably and that happens to be about the max you can squeeze out of the stock turbo and injectors.

You might have to enlighten me on this s chip you speak of. Up until recently I would have immediately said there's no such thing as a chip for the 12 valve. But recent advents have produced a couple gadgets for them that kind of acts like a chip. What I have seen of them good tuning and a little ingenuity can accomplish the same thing for $30.
Yeah i definatley have Dana 60 in front and back. An s chip is like a tuner chip, a computer chip you can instal and control yourself to minimize or maximize your power and fuel consrvation. You can set it to manipulate the engine so to speak. Say you need more power for hauling you set it for that ornif you are casually driving on a trip or through town you set it for fuel milage.

I just recently found out a 12 valve cummins is not set up for a chip so i cannot use one, or at least as far as i am aware of. The only way to tune a 12 valve cummins is manually is to do it through the AFC springs, fuel plates etc so my idea for a chip has been thrown out the window sadly.

Last edited by jake1095; 07-28-2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:35 PM
blackskyracing
Veteran

Originally Posted by jake1095
Yeah i definatley have Dana 60 in front and back. An s chip is like a tuner chip, a computer chip you can instal and control yourself to minimize or maximize your power and fuel consrvation. You can set it to manipulate the engine so to speak. Say you need more power for hauling you set it for that ornif you are casually driving on a trip or through town you set it for fuel milage.

I just recently found out a 12 valve cummins is not set up for a chip so i cannot use one, or at least as far as i am aware of. The only way to tune a 12 valve cummins is manually is to do it through the AFC springs, fuel plates etc so my idea for a chip has been thrown out the window sadly.
Still curious who makes the chip you speak of, I'm a dealer for powertec (Super Chips and Edge) Mads products (smarty), SCT, and PPE and I haven't heard of an s-chip. To get a little technical cummins actually only have tuners and programmers, fords were the more common ones to run a "chip"

Good deal on the Dana 60 front, you're golden drivetrain wise then, that's pretty much a guarantee that you'll have an NP241DLD transfer case too. If you do decide to replace the rear axle later on, don't waste your time with the Dana 70, look for an 80.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:14 PM
jake1095

Still curious who makes the chip you speak of, I'm a dealer for powertec (Super Chips and Edge) Mads products (smarty), SCT, and PPE and I haven't heard of an s-chip. To get a little technical cummins actually only have tuners and programmers, fords were the more common ones to run a "chip"

Good deal on the Dana 60 front, you're golden drivetrain wise then, that's pretty much a guarantee that you'll have an NP241DLD transfer case too. If you do decide to replace the rear axle later on, don't waste your time with the Dana 70, look for an 80.
Im on Diesel Power Products.Com is where i was looking into the chips. I need to correct myself, misshap on my part i had some miss information. I did some more research after i read your previous response and, It is the fords that can take the chip i speak of so i was worng. The tuner chip i wanted to use though i cant use on a 12 valve Cummins as far as i know. Ifni was to drop in a 24 valve i could but so far im not ready to make a commitment to the 24 as much as i am the 12.

I will look into the Dana 80 but that will probly be far into the future if i decide to tinker with the rear end but thank you for the info! I still have my body work and iterior work to take care of before i can embark. I was planing on posting another thread with pictures of my 97 showing what i plan on doing and get ideas to build off of or improve upon.

Quick Reply: Diesel Conversion 1997 2500