2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Emergency brake

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 10:02 AM
Chiriqui
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emergency brake

I've got zero adjustment in the cable and still no emergency brake. I'm pretty sure I have good shoes and discs. It's 4x4 discs. I frankly never use this brake but I would like to restore it.
Will new cables do it? I don't see how to shorten what I have.

2001 SLT 4x4 Dodge Ram 5.9 2500

Old 09-25-2015, 10:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Silly question, but, are the rears adjusted up properly? (I know, disc.... should be self-adjusting....)

Are the cables just stretched?

Old 09-25-2015, 11:32 AM
Chiriqui
Amateur

I just looked at the setup again. With the ebrake pressed only the drivers side rear wheel is setting the passenger side isn't? Its difficult to see how the passenger side activates the way the cables connect to the front pedal. There's no adjustment for the passenger side cable. Now I don't know what if anything in the brakes themselves I can adjust or get adjusted that is for the emergency bake itself. I pretty much have to have a working understanding myself to explain to the local mechanics. I'm in the Rep of Panama, retired. I believe all wheels are braking equally. I had some issues in the past but it all boiled down to replacing the hydraulic assist. Brakes were adjusted a lot this way and that until I isolated the hydraulic assist failure.

editing: I'm looking at Rock Auto parts I see a "Pad" listed! Is there a pad that works off these cables inside the disc brake housing?

Last edited by Chiriqui; 09-25-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-25-2015, 11:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

There is a single cable coming down from the pedals, and where the rear cables attach, there should be an adjuster..... Sounds to me like your cables are just stretched, and need adjusted up. (and possible freed up as well, of one of them has seized.....)

Old 09-25-2015, 11:48 AM
Chiriqui
Amateur

what's sized the mechanism or the brake itself?

Old 09-25-2015, 11:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Maybe one of the cables. (usually one of them going to the drums.... they DO hang out under the truck after all..... they get rusty and crusty, and stop moving.)

Follow one of the cables coming from the drums up toward the front. Find the adjuster.

have someone else step on the pedal, and make sure both cables move, and release. If those are ok, just adjust it up, and you should be golden.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:30 PM
Chiriqui
Amateur

well I guess it's the cable because as I pushed the pedal the cable to the drivers side doesn't move. It looks functional but I guess it's kaput.. Nuts Maybe it can be freed up with some lubricant inside the houseing

Old 09-25-2015, 01:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Best way I have found, that sometimes works.... Is pick up a cable lubricator from a bicycle shop.... and then some PB Blaster with the nice little stick in the nozzle. Works great.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:43 PM
Chiriqui
Amateur

it's adjusted to the end of the threads so I guess its stretched and the separate cable that branches off to the passenger side is locked up or broken inside the housing

Old 09-25-2015, 01:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Time to replace some cables then.

Quick Reply: Emergency brake