2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

intermittent oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 09:32 AM
studders
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intermittent oil pressure

hello to all. I have a 1999 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.9L. I was driving yesterday out to the lake to drop some stuff off. it ran fine all the way out there. its about a 40 minute drive which I do a lot out that way. I turned my truck off to unload and when I got back in to leave it would turn over but wouldn't start. told me to check gauges and I seen I had no oil pressure. I checked the oil and it was good and I seen nothing leaking on the ground or on the engine. I had to towed home and it sat for awhile. when I eventually got back home it started up and the oil pressure built up like it should. I tried starting it up this morning to check it and no oil pressure again and woudnt start. I waited about a half hour and it started up with the oil pressure being what it should. what could I check or what could possibly be wrong. maybe the oil pump is about done for. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Two different problems.

Oil pressure won't really come up far if the engine isn't actually running, and will bleed of quickly when you let of the key. (if it doesn't start.)

Need to find out what is missing when it won't start. Fuel, or spark.

Old 08-08-2016, 10:47 AM
studders
Rookie

[QUOTE=HeyYou;3306363]Two different problems.

Oil pressure won't really come up far if the engine isn't actually running, and will bleed of quickly when you let of the key. (if it doesn't start.)

Need to find out what is missing when it won't start. Fuel, or spark.[/QUOTE

It probably is about time for some new spark plugs. It has been awhile since i changed them but i don't put many miles on it. As far as the fuel, how would i check to see if its not getting any.

Old 08-08-2016, 11:00 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Fuel pressure gauge. (you can probably rent one from the local parts store.) See if you get pressure. Beyond that, need a noid light, to check for injector pulse.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:39 PM
studders
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Fuel pressure gauge. (you can probably rent one from the local parts store.) See if you get pressure. Beyond that, need a noid light, to check for injector pulse.
thanks i will see what i can do and give an update as soon as i can.

Old 08-08-2016, 09:24 PM
Friar Tuck
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HeyYou, never tried it, but would a led or incandescent test light suffice for testing injectors?

Old 08-08-2016, 09:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

LED would prolly be better, I don't think incandescent will react fast enough. (though, I have never tried it either.) Some folks have had success just using a test light......

Old 08-14-2016, 03:55 PM
studders
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
so I looked over a couple things this weekend. I noticed that my distributor/solenoid cord was burned almost in half from touching the manifold. Maybe it was only getting a little spark just enough to start up every so often. So I got some new plugs and switched them as well as the cap and rotor button since I had the wires off. I was really hoping that was it. It had to be. Well it wasn't. But it is still intermittent starting when it wants to. Sometimes it will start and sometimes it will not. I haven't gotten any noid lights yet but wouldn't it take like at least 4-5 injectors to go bad for this to happen. What is the chance on that happening. I still need to get a fuel pressure gauge to see how much pressure I am getting. So anymore ideas or what can I check next? thanks

Old 08-14-2016, 06:33 PM
studders
Rookie

another quick update. I got down by the gas tank to see if I could hear the fuel pump kicking on and I do not hear it. I relieved the fuel pressure and not a lot came out. I then tried starting it and relieve the fuel pressure again and this time nothing came out. I swapped out the fuse with another one and that still wasn't the issue. lastly I sprayed some starting fluid into the throttle body and it did start up but died when the starting fluid ran out. the only thing I haven't really checked yet was maybe the connector the fuel pump might be loose but highly doubt it but you never know. I'm thinking the fuel pump might of went south.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Try swapping the fuel pump relay with the horn relay. See if that makes any difference.

Do you even hear the relay click when you turn the key on?

Quick Reply: intermittent oil pressure