2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

quick question about that big 36mm fan clutch nut

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 10:35 AM
marcpilot1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick question about that big 36mm fan clutch nut

98 Ram, 1500, 5.9L, 248K, gas-
Hi you guys, gals. I got a question that's been answered a hundred times already. But I cant get the actual picture it in my head!
It's that fan clutch nut. I understand that it's threaded, like, reverse threads, or backwards so to speak maybe? You all prob just call it "reverse threads" or something like that maybe.
To me, that would mean lefty "tighty", instead of "lefty looseie". Is that correct, maybe? Or is that my 1st mistake trying to picture it? And would "righty tighty" then be changed to rightie loosie?

So, as you can already see, I'm confused! Seems I'd be turning that big ol' 36mm nut to the "RIGHT" to loosen it, you know, the reverse from the usual way. Also it seems like I'd go back to the left to tighten it, if you were standing in front of the truck.
That's the picture I'm getting my head! It's clearly not, "CLEAR", up there(and don't recommend anyone going up there, ever, just a big ol mess in there!)

So, see what I'm thinking?
But the problem I got is this, NO ONE is turning it to the right to loosen it that I can tell or see! It seems to me that everyone that knows what they're doing is actually turning it to the left to loosen the 36mm nut at fan clutch! So if thats actually the case, why do they call it "reverse threads"? I know theres a reason, I just cant picture it! It s*#*s for me!

Anyway, appreciate any explanations. Oh, and thats just 1 question I got about getting this fan clutch off. But I'm researching the posts pretty hard so as to not bother y'all to terribly much! I'm actually doing the whole water pump replacement. Like with the thermostat, the little bypass hose and possibly the metal pipe thing. Someone also told me to do the timing chain. Guess I'll inspect that when I'm in there a little deeper. Not to sure how to know if that needs replacing! It runs ex, just leaking steady from under there where the water pump is so I thought I'd start there.
Man, I appreciate any guidance here, a lot! Now that its 2016, theres things that may be a little different now, like what water pump is best now and other possible gasket tricks and tips, etc, etc!
Again, Thanks for any help I can get!

I just bought it 3 months ago, really hoping to get it right!

Old 08-31-2016, 11:18 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

Yes, the fan clutch loosens to the left when you're facing the truck. I didn't notice any reverse threads either. Worst part is actually finding a tool to take it off. Nobody sells it. Nobody rents it. You have to get one from a SnapOn truck or have a buddy with a shop. I used a real hack way of inserting bolts into the holes and using the big fork kit I rented from Autozone. To get it tight, my Dad used an old belt and visegrip to hold it while I tightened with the largest crescent wrench I could find. Sucks not having the right tools.

I just did water pump, t-stat, all hoses, seals, oil pump, rear main, and timing chain set this summer. Complete overhaul of everything but internals. There's a lot to do for this job and you'll benefit from helpers, a garage, big tools, extra vehicle to run for parts, etc. I did it with my Dad at his house and he's a trucker with lots of nice big old tools and a ton of knowledge from working on Petes for over 40 years. I used all napa parts including Cloyes gears and chain from napa. Napa water pump replaced my old napa pump that had over 100k and still spun fine. I had no leaks. Everything was a R & R based on mileage. Napa stocks good brands like the Stant 180 stat as well.

Overall, it was a huge job, one that I hope to never do again. Especially for a shade tree mechanic. Hope you have enough knowledge and tools to tackle it. If you need some help, just ask. I usually check this forum once a day. Happy repairs!

Old 08-31-2016, 12:01 PM
Brian in Tucson
All Star

I just put my nice, new rebuilt replacement engine in my 98. The big nut on mine was standard lefty loosy, tighty righty. To get it loose, I clamped a vice grip on the water pump pulley and loosened the nut with a pipe wrench. At one time, I had made a pin spanner for this job, but that tool got recycled into something else.

For all the mixed reviews of stuff from Harbor Freight, their hand tools have really freed me to step up past being just shade tree mechanic. It took me only 15 days to remove a really dead 5.2 and install a nice, balanced 5.2 back in and get it to run. (I'm 64, btw.) The HF cherry picker & engine leveler and the engine stand have been awesome!

Shade tree mechanics can do almost anything a shop can, with ingenuity, tools, and an attitude. I work til it gets too hot or I get sick of it for the day. Sometimes I have to quit working while I think out a problem (like getting the exhaust pipes lined up with the Ebay headers with a ratcheting motorcycle load strap.)

Old 08-31-2016, 01:57 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramman18
Worst part is actually finding a tool to take it off. Nobody sells it. Nobody rents it. You have to get one from a SnapOn truck or have a buddy with a shop.
I scored my pulley spanner for about $25 at the local NAPA, but I still prefer using a strap wrench on the water pump pulley because it's easier.

Old 08-31-2016, 03:22 PM
marcpilot1
Professional

Dang Ramman18, you did it well it sounds like! The job you did was what I'd like to eventually get all done on this 1500 w/360 5.9L like over the next few days to 2 weeks. I have another ride that I drive. I kinda want this truck to get all the necessary stuff it needs to be considered in great shape for the mileage!

Ramman18, it seems like yours may have over 200k possibly as well. This one has 248k right now. I'm wondering if it's even worth it to put like, AC Delco or other higher end parts that cost more on this truck. If the mileage is a bit high, and motor just decides to go soon, it seems those parts would be a waste of money. I just hate using parts from, "The big three" auto parts stores. Anyway, Good job dude on your truck!

Brian in Tuscon does things practically the same way I do! It gets hot, I go in for a lil while. I get confused, I go in for a lil while sometimes, i'll look up things or read about the issue I'm having.
And I agree 100%, HF does have some "good enough" tools! The trick with HF is knowing what not to buy. I def don't buy just anything from there. But most things I have gotten from HF have lasted me fine.

UnregisteredUser did it the SAME way I just did this one. I broke out a Sears strap wrench I just happened to have, which was barely used, slapped it around the pulley, held it tight and turned the 36mm, counter clockwise. I got it loanered from the A-Z here. It actually came loose without a lot of force. Seemed to come loose a little too easy for me. Hmm. Anyway, thank goodness I'm past that now.

Once I read that you all turned the 36mm counter clockwise to loosen the 36, I went the same way. I just needed you all to confirm which way it turned. I def didn't want to accidentally tighten it up trying to take it off! Which would've made it even harder to get it off. So Thanks for that! Theres one more question about the "pulley" now that I got the nut off but I'm going to put that on the next post so I don't drag this one on even longer! Sorry bout that. And thx again!!

Old 08-31-2016, 03:36 PM
schmidtp
Veteran

Originally Posted by marcpilot1
Dang Ramman18, you did it well it sounds like! The job you did was what I'd like to eventually get all done on this 1500 w/360 5.9L like over the next few days to 2 weeks. I have another ride that I drive. I kinda want this truck to get all the necessary stuff it needs to be considered in great shape for the mileage!

Ramman18, it seems like yours may have over 200k possibly as well. This one has 248k right now. I'm wondering if it's even worth it to put like, AC Delco or other higher end parts that cost more on this truck. If the mileage is a bit high, and motor just decides to go soon, it seems those parts would be a waste of money. I just hate using parts from, "The big three" auto parts stores. Anyway, Good job dude on your truck!
I sourced all my parts for the job described by Ramman off RockAuto. Most of them are in the attachment. I returned the PCV valve and got one from the dealer. I also replaced the oil pump, pick up screen, and pan gasket with parts from RockAuto as well. Just make sure most your parts are coming from the same location as the shipping is what gets you from RockAuto.

Attached Thumbnails quick question about that big 36mm fan clutch nut-tune-up.png  
Old 08-31-2016, 03:53 PM
marcpilot1
Professional

If anyone has time still, I got one other question. It's about that next step in the Haynes. Next step says it wants me to pull the water pump's pulley off.

You know, I pulled the shroud out and the fan out of there after I got that 36mm off.(lot of room now btw!) And the next step says, "remove the water pump pulley".
Is it talking about, remove the pulley that I had that strap wrench wrapped around to get the 36mm nut off a step ago? Remove that pulley somehow?

Then, after removing this "water pump pulley", it wants me to detach the hoses from the water pump. So thats where I'm at. If I could picture it better in my brain, I'd have it! But it just aint allowing accurate pics, again! I got it last time, when the reverse thread issue came up and you all explained it, I got it then. But now I'm binding a bit up there, again! Thanks again for any guide y'all can give me!

Old 08-31-2016, 03:56 PM
marcpilot1
Professional

Oh yea, Ramman18, how important was that oil pump, rear main seal replacement? And did you do those yourself? Were they just sort of a precautionary maintenance type of job for those 2 parts, or were they having issues. Thanks!

Old 08-31-2016, 05:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

I just left the serpentine belt in place, put a big crescent wrench on the nut, and smacked the end of the wrench with a hammer a couple times. Broke loose on the second or third whack, and then threaded off by hand. No problem. Used that method several times now, and it has always worked.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:07 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 347 Likes on 327 Posts

I just left the serpentine belt in place, put a big crescent wrench on the nut, and smacked the end of the wrench with a hammer a couple times.
Ditto here. The last time i took it off it took quite a few smacks with the hammer so i put some never seize on it when it went back on.

Quick Reply: quick question about that big 36mm fan clutch nut