2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46re overdrive reluctance/noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 02:59 PM
Pairof99s
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 46re overdrive reluctance/noise

Hey guys. So I searched a couple pages on different search terms for this, didn't find any other applicable threads, so I'm making my own. My truck is in my sig, a 99 1500 360 mag 4x4.

So my issue is, when I'm cruising along in overdrive, if I put my foot in it a bit to speed up, my rpms drop to like 1100-1400 ish and it sits there, with a definite almost grinding noise that I can feel in the pedal. I gotta put my foot way in it to about 60-75% throttle to get it to do anything, at which point it downshifts twice into 2nd, then usually up into 3rd in a few seconds. It's started in the last say 4 or 5 months. Obviously first thing is to do a trans tune up/solenoid fluid filter replacement, since I haven't done it in the 8 months I've had it but I wanted to see if there was some insight and knowledge I could pull from you guys first.

Any ideas/thoughts/anything is appreciated guys, thanks.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

That doesn't sound right..... RPM should NOT drop when you press the pedal.... Unless there is something else going on in there, not related to the trans. Possibly bad TPS??

Adjust the bands while you have the trans open.

Check adjustment of the TV cable as well...... might wanna tighten it up a notch or two.

Welcome to DF!

Old 10-19-2016, 10:25 PM
Pairof99s
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know what, while I dismissed the TPS at first, now that I think about it you might have something. Specifically, it surges up a couple hundred, then drops. So if I'm coasting at say 1300 and give it mild throttle, it'll go up to 1500 then drop right away to 1100-1200, and stay there with that grindy noise until I hit higher throttle, then it does the shifting. So since I have my gf's truck pulled apart, I'll swap her TPS onto mine to see if there's a difference, because hers definitely didn't do this before I yanked it apart.

I also noodled around with my TV cable for a week or so last month, moved it in, out, too far in, all kinds of stuff. Nothing felt right so I put it at stock setting.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

The 200 or so RPM change is TCC locking/unlocking. If it makes rude noises when it locks..... you either have a failing torque converter, or, inadequate pressure to get it to lock up.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:00 AM
dbbd1
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ that's what I thought. Sounded like my converter did.